Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Intel goes for a Windows-only chip

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Exclamation Intel goes for a Windows-only chip

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...html#tk.hp_new

This is only for tablets, meaning Android can't be used on it. But, Intel may make ONLY Windows chips for PCs later, shoving out Linux.

TS
    Communication is the difference between a friend and an acquaintance

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Intel goes for a Windows-only chip

Moved to Cafe.

I figure it will be a chip used it tablets running win8. As far as I recall those would be locked to using Windows only, but time will tell what direction this takes.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's an X86 chip. It's not that linux can't run on it, but rather as it is now, the kernel won't be able to utilize the chip to its full capacity.
    That and Intel doesn't plan on adding that support for the kernel, any time soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Disappointing, but not at all unexpected. The ARM/Android combo represents a huge threat to Microsoft's dominance of personal computing, and we've already seen with the whole "secure boot" thing that they're quite happy to use their relationships with manufacturers to lock out the competition at the hardware level.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Disappointing, but not at all unexpected. The ARM/Android combo represents a huge threat to Microsoft's dominance of personal computing, and we've already seen with the whole "secure boot" thing that they're quite happy to use their relationships with manufacturers to lock out the competition at the hardware level.
    Let their treats work and be super succesful. It is time to see MS fall for anti-trust once again.

How much things change...
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I'm not going to get too worked up over a crappy Atom chip. But I'm sure it won't take the kernel devs long to get this worked in. Intel's attitude toward Linux is kind of disappointing, though. They've always been big supporters.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    yeah, i hear that BS about ARM going "on desktop" for several years (although more poeple is claiming that "smartbook" will be usable any time soon... since 2008).
    Can you please provide me with 2 things that Android has to threaten MS Windows on PC? And "Secure Boot" doesn't mean that you cannot boot anything else- you can disable that on PC.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So they're creating a reference design together? I don't see an issue. If anything, it might just be a disadvantage for Intel. As long as there are plenty of other options for Linux/Android, it isn't a monopoly issue. Besides, even Windows is moving to ARM as well. Intel probably just wants to ensure it doesn't get shut out of the tablet picture, by making a processor 'optimized' for Windows tablets...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by szymon_g View Post
    yeah, i hear that BS about ARM going "on desktop" for several years (although more poeple is claiming that "smartbook" will be usable any time soon... since 2008).
    Can you please provide me with 2 things that Android has to threaten MS Windows on PC? And "Secure Boot" doesn't mean that you cannot boot anything else- you can disable that on PC.
    Cause convincing users go to Bios so that the can disable the misleadingly called "Secure" boot is going to be so easy to do.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vexorian View Post
    Cause convincing users go to Bios so that the can disable the misleadingly called "Secure" boot is going to be so easy to do.
    still easier than convincing users to download and install linux on their desktop computer.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast