Thread: What do I have to do to get my windows documents while in Ubuntu?

Beans

What do I have to do to get my windows documents while in Ubuntu?

I am new to Ubuntu and I like it, but I am looking for a step by step instruction on how (if possible) to get my Windows files while in Ubuntu? Please? Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: What do I have to do to get my windows documents while in Ubuntu?

I'll assume that you are using Ubuntu 12.04 with the default desktop and that you are dual booting with your Windows documents on the same computer. Obviously, if the documents are on another computer or a USB stick, then the instructions will be different.

Click on the Dash Home icon. Type in Disk Utility and start the Disk Utility program. Select your hard disk in the left hand pane. This should then show the various "partitions" on your disk. Click on the one that looks like the Windows partition. Mine shows as Windows7_OS and NTFS. Now click on the Mount Volume button. This should add a hard disk icon to your Dash. Click on that.

You should now be able to browse to your documents. On Windows 7 you probably want /Users/<username>/Documents. The path might be different for older Windows versions.

LibreOffice can open Micrososft Office documents reasonably well. So you should just have to browse to the document you want and click on it. If you actually want to install Windows software under Linux, then that's a different ballgame.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hello rickw137; welcome to the forums

Here are some more links that might help.

http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?...lubuntu.com%2F

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by rickw137 View Post
    I am new to Ubuntu and I like it, but I am looking for a step by step instruction on how (if possible) to get my Windows files while in Ubuntu? Please? Thanks!
    If you are using Ubuntu 12.04, click on your Home folder, on the left side you will see several folder listings at top left you will see devices. Under that, on mine, is System, then the Windows partition, on mine it says 186Gb, yours will say something like that. Double click on it and you will see all you Windows files. Hope this helps you and good luck.
    BTW, if you want to copy your documents folder from Windows to Ubuntu just open the Windows Documents Folder highlight all the files and press ctrl-C and then open the documents folder in Ubuntu and simply paste them into your Ubuntu Documents folder. ctrl-V will paste them.
    Last edited by rickm1945; September 15th, 2012 at 02:31 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Just be sure not to have Windows in hibernation and write something back into it. The hibernation cannot see any changes and then they are lost or you corrupt system.

Because the NTFS driver shows all files and folders, like the administration user and does not hide the system files & folders like Windows you also have to be careful not to move a system file. In Windows I would always turn on view all the files and then click and drag too quick and move something where it should not. Creates lots of fun trying to fix Windows when you cannot find what file got moved.

Many suggest a separate shared data partition or d: in Windows. Then you can set c: as read only from Ubuntu and use the shared data as read/write. I still have my shared NTFS partition even though I do not boot XP. I have my Firefox & Thunderbird profiles so I had same email & bookmarks.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.