Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lemu4 Freezing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Lemu4 Freezing

Well, I've had this problem for awhile, but it nearly vanished when I started keeping only 1 or 2 tabs open on Chromium, so I figured that was the problem-keeping tons of tabs open. But, I have given up on that idea since it just froze on me while playing Minecraft (not on a server-just Minecraft, and my networking was turned off to save battery).
    I initially had this problem, but it was caused by the Intel HD graphics glitch, which was fixed by a kernel update.
    So, I am just going to try and tackle it once and for all.
    Why does my Lemu4 freeze with 2 tabs open, whereas my desktop, which has equivalent specs (but with an AMD chip and ATI graphics), can juggle 20 tabs and not freeze?
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans

Re: Lemu4 Freezing

Are you running Unity (i.e., "3D")? When it freezes, is it just the display/window manager, with the machine still running, so that the mouse cursor can be moved, and the tty1 session is available at (Ctl-Alt-F1)? Or is the kernel itself frozen, and nothing works?

In the first case, it is possible to recover the display manager without rebooting. That does not clear up what is going wrong, unfortunately. To recover the display manager, see my comment at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freezes&page=8.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Rader View Post
    Are you running Unity (i.e., "3D")? When it freezes, is it just the display/window manager, with the machine still running, so that the mouse cursor can be moved, and the tty1 session is available at (Ctl-Alt-F1)? Or is the kernel itself frozen, and nothing works?

In the first case, it is possible to recover the display manager without rebooting. That does not clear up what is going wrong, unfortunately. To recover the display manager, see my comment at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freezes&page=8.
    I do use Unity 3D. (Unity 2D is lacking in too many features for the performance benefits, in my opinion).
    It is not possible to get to the command line to restart LightDM (which I learned how to do after it forgot to bring up the lock screen when I opened my laptop lid-very useful, as this is a shaky feature on basically all laptops running Ubuntu), and the mouse does not respond.
    It does not respond to key combinations, either (both to get to the command line and to restart).
    I'm pretty sure the kernel is just completely locking up. I can wait 5 minutes with the key combinations and get no response.
    Also, I am not getting freezes due to a lack of resources-I have an 8 GB swap partition, and 8 GB of RAM, and the System Monitor shows memory usage very low before it freezes.
    Here is an oddball item that could be useful-if I open Chromium before or during the "Connected to [WiFi SSID here]" message shows up, it usually freezes right after I open the browser. This is not repeated across other applications, however.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

The only time I have freezes it's usually caused by a Flash advertisement or something Flash related. Does this only happen with Chromium?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by joe4ska View Post
    The only time I have freezes it's usually caused by a Flash advertisement or something Flash related. Does this only happen with Chromium?
    I'm not sure.
    It stopped happening entirely now. I wonder if it was the kernel update-I am now running 3.2.0-31, rather than 3.2.0-30.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

You need to upgrade to Linux kernel 3.3.6-030300.

I had a similar problem and I contacted System76. Mark Hoffart reported that some Lemur Ultra Thin customers still experienced random system freezes after applying the Linux kernel 3.2.0-27 generic update. He said that this is a workaround that solves the problem.

Hi Welly

Below are some steps to try a different Kernel that people used as a work around when the first bug initially developed. Some people actually stuck with this because it seemed the patched didn't cure their individual situations fully.

cd /tmp && wget -O linux-headers-3.3.6-030300_3.3.6_all.deb http://goo.gl/zNlMy
    sudo dpkg -i linux-headers-3.3.6-030300_3.3.6_all.deb
    cd /tmp && wget -O linux-headers-3.3.6-generic_amd64.deb http://goo.gl/Z9Ztt
    sudo dpkg -i linux-headers-3.3.6-generic_amd64.deb
    cd /tmp && wget -O linux-image-3.3.6-generic_amd64.deb http://goo.gl/jji3o
    sudo dpkg -i linux-image-3.3.6-generic_amd64.deb

Beans
    Distro

The Linux kernel 3.2.0-x generic is slightly flawed. It will continue to give you on and off again random system freezes until you upgrade to a newer Linux kernel version like 3.3.6. If you don't upgrade to a newer Linux kernel, then you will never figure out why your System76 Lemur Ultra keeps randomly locking up and freezing.

Beans
    Distro

On my System76 Lemur Ultra Thin (lemu4), Linux kernel 3.3.6-030306 generic is the latest stable version and it completely solved all lockups and freezes permanently. I can run 36 software applications at the same time without any problems and I can suspend and resume from RAM instantly. I have stressed tested this specific Linux kernel version and it is good to go.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Welly Wu View Post
    You need to upgrade to Linux kernel 3.3.6-030300.

I had a similar problem and I contacted System76. Mark Hoffart reported that some Lemur Ultra Thin customers still experienced random system freezes after applying the Linux kernel 3.2.0-27 generic update. He said that this is a workaround that solves the problem.

Hi Welly

Below are some steps to try a different Kernel that people used as a work around when the first bug initially developed. Some people actually stuck with this because it seemed the patched didn't cure their individual situations fully.

cd /tmp && wget -O linux-headers-3.3.6-030300_3.3.6_all.deb http://goo.gl/zNlMy
    sudo dpkg -i linux-headers-3.3.6-030300_3.3.6_all.deb
    cd /tmp && wget -O linux-headers-3.3.6-generic_amd64.deb http://goo.gl/Z9Ztt
    sudo dpkg -i linux-headers-3.3.6-generic_amd64.deb
    cd /tmp && wget -O linux-image-3.3.6-generic_amd64.deb http://goo.gl/jji3o
    sudo dpkg -i linux-image-3.3.6-generic_amd64.deb
    uname -a now returns:
    Code:
    Linux hostname 3.3.6-030306-generic #201205121335 SMP Sat May 12 17:36:12 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux.
    Hopefully this will work. Only time will tell.

Beans
    Distro

The kernel upgrade seems to have worked, but there has been an increase in boot time of about 5.2 seconds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast