Thread: Cannot update ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Cannot update ubuntu 12.04

i'm running a fresh install of ubuntu 12.04 through wubi, and i've had this problem for about a week now (i'm not sure whether i've run the update manager on this machine successfully yet).

The update manager refreshes the list of updates normally, like it always has, but as soon as it starts downloading these updates i get a connection error (failed to fetch X file, file not found)

it's quite a number of updates (around 400).

My bt home hub has run updates through other machines in the past, so i know my network connection is fine.

any help would be appreciated,

thehumorouscheese.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Cannot update ubuntu 12.04

The update manager refreshes the list of updates normally, like it always has, but as soon as it starts downloading these updates i get a connection error (failed to fetch X file, file not found)
    The update notifier is still up on the top menu if there are still updates to run. Right click on it and choose 'Show Updates'. Go to 'Settings' at the bottom and then 'Other Software Sources'--find the PPA for the files that failed. Remove the check from the box(s). Uncheck the box on the download page too. Then run update and it should work.

You'll want to check later for why that one didn't work. Perhaps reinstall that PPA.
    Last edited by critin; September 11th, 2012 at 10:00 PM.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'd check /etc/apt/apt.conf to make sure there are't any configuration lines that would mess it up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Removing a source from software sources won't allow the application from that source to update . After you have installed the other updates add the source again and run check for updates and see if source is still causing problems.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can."

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    Removing a source from software sources won't allow the application from that source to update . After you have installed the other updates add the source again and run check for updates and see if source is still causing problems.
    There are 406 updates.

i've already spent about 5 minutes checking boxes, and i'm just about half way.

(laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag.)