Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Intel Ultimate N 6300 in Thinkpad X230, drop-outs and no connection

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Intel Ultimate N 6300 in Thinkpad X230 DROPOUTS and NO CONNECTION

So what I see so far is that for this solution to work I have to be at my desk, where the AP I configured is. Right?
    Yes.
    Now what will happen when I start moving around? Will it roam?
    No, or at least that's the intent: to keep it from roaming.

Network Manager is still an imperfect being. Multiple ESSIDs with the exact same name are still troublesome.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lunatico View Post
    ...gather the MAC addresses of all APs on the building (there must be like 10) and configure on wireless connection for each.
    This is what I've been doing - creating specific variants of the original connection with a unique name and BSSID for each location. NM then automatically connects to the strongest one - clumsy but it works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by plaut View Post
    This is what I've been doing - creating specific variants of the original connection with a unique name and BSSID for each location. NM then automatically connects to the strongest one - clumsy but it works.
    I tried this and didn't work for me. Maybe because all AP are for the same ESSID?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lunatico View Post
    I tried this and didn't work for me. Maybe because all AP are for the same ESSID?
    The ESSID shouldn't matter (it's the same across all of the APs I'm connecting to). Are you sure you're setting the BSSID to the *first* AP you connect to? Do things work when you're connected to it (but not after you roam to another one)? If not, you might have a different problem....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by plaut View Post
    The ESSID shouldn't matter (it's the same across all of the APs I'm connecting to). Are you sure you're setting the BSSID to the *first* AP you connect to? Do things work when you're connected to it (but not after you roam to another one)? If not, you might have a different problem....
    Yes, so I configured the BSSID to be the one which succeeded in the authentication. But then when moving around and once it's connected it's all good. But when I move to another location, even if I have saves another BSSID for that location, it does not reconnect. I pretty much does the same, it will loose connectivity, eventually NM tries to reconnect and brings up the password dialogbox, if I click connect it won't connect, if I click cancel it'll try to reconnect but will never succeed. I'll have to turn off wireless and turn it back on, then select the strongest signal and connect.

Beans

I haven't tried moving from one BSSID-specific connection to another - what you describe may be as good as it gets at this point....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yeah... if I don't move location it's rock solid. The problem is when I move location. I think maybe if I turn off wireless, move location then turn on again it might connect fine and solid. Will try next week.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Intel Ultimate N 6300 in Thinkpad X230, drop-outs and no connection

Sad. This is so annoying. It looks like I'm forced to ditch network manager and install WICD.

Beans

Re: Intel Ultimate N 6300 in Thinkpad X230, drop-outs and no connection

I have the same wifi card in a Thinkpad T430 and it's given me all sorts of trouble.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234