Thread: ubuntu 12.10

Beans

Question ubuntu 12.10

I have a few basic questions about ubuntu 12.10.
    I checked the main ubuntu site and the info for 12.10 its all stuff a two year old would want to know.
    I even looked at the wiki, walk threw, etc., etc.
    They do have this big page on some whooptydo ware you can have a direct link to a web site on the menu bar. What do they think people are too lazy to click a page link once Firefox loads? Or set the page they want to open first to the Firefox home page?
    Its all just like Microsoft. Gee wiz isn't this cool, but its just eye candy.

What I want to know is...
    First off what are the real system requirements for 12.10?
    Is the ubuntu software center place holder fixed?
    Has there been a real configuration utility for unity added? Or do I have to add 5 or more different apps to get most of the basic settings that should be in ubuntu to begin with?
    Is there a way to set simple things like background color for a window from white to say light gray with out looking up a bunch of cryptic terminal commands?
    Is there a click this to restore ubuntu12.10 to default bootup config?(I somehow clicked something when a video crapped out while full screen that got ubuntu 11.10 into basic gnome and then had to play games and find a dam terminal sudo command to get unity back, it took me like 3 hours to get back because this was some cryptic terminal bit I had to find rather than an easy click this. And I have five apps with different config changers loaded, of course non of them had the bit I needed.)(Hell on a different note why didn't a reboot bring things back to normal?)

I'm sure there are other things I'll think of latter that I'll want to know too.
    I don't know, maybe the rest of the world just takes an operating system at default? Maybe I'm weird to want to change things? But I don't think so.

I also really don't want to install the critter and have to go threw all the terminal bits to get things the way I want them again. Or find out after all that it runs so slow its unusable on this old pc.

Anyway thanks in advance for any info you can give me.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: ubuntu 12.10

Quote Originally Posted by D_E_H0987 View Post

(Hell on a different note why didn't a reboot bring things back to normal?)

Or find out after all that it runs so slow its unusable on this old pc.
    Anyway thanks in advance for any info you can give me.
    On reboot, on the grub screen choose Recovery. Of course if you've decided not to use password log-in, you may not see that nice feature.

12.10 Ubuntu absolutely does have issues running completely fine on low spec machines.
    12.10 Xubuntu runs well though.

To answer all your other questions, boot a live DVD or USB and choose TRY/or LIVE mode and run and test all these things before installing. You can do anything on a live that you can do on an install except saving it permanently .. unless you use "persistent" on a usb to install it. Then it will save changes I believe. I've not used it.
    Last edited by critin; October 22nd, 2012 at 10:07 PM.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans

Question Re: ubuntu 12.10

Quote Originally Posted by critin View Post
    On reboot, on the grub screen choose Recovery. Of course if you've decided not to use password log-in, you may not see that nice feature.

12.10 Ubuntu absolutely does have issues running completely fine on low spec machines.
    12.10 Xubuntu runs well though.

To answer all your other questions, boot a live DVD or USB and choose TRY/or LIVE mode and run and test all these things before installing. You can do anything on a live that you can do on an install except saving it permantly.. unless you use "persistent" on a usb to install it. Then it will save changes I believe. I've not used it.
    Hey thanks for your reply.

So just how big is the ubuntu 12.10 live DVD?
    xubuntu thats a different desktop than unity right?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: ubuntu 12.10

Quote Originally Posted by D_E_H0987 View Post
    Hey thanks for your reply.

So just how big is the ubuntu 12.10 live DVD?
    xubuntu thats a different desktop than unity right?
    About 800 MB. It will let you know on the ubuntu download site.
    Xubuntu does not use unity--correct. Many prefer it, some do not. I didn't until 12.10. lol There's been a lot of changes.

Voyage xubuntu is very well done also, if you want something a bit different.

All can be tried as live systems to check out.
    Youtube reviews of linux are ways to see many in action, but you won't know much until you try them yourself.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?