Thread: is there a Read please replasment linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

is there a Read please replasment linux?

Hi all i work with Readplace 2003 for years but current this programs is discontinue.
    But i wand to ask to the linux comunty is there a readplease replasment for linux.

For the readpleas features list can your find
    [link]

Be site this we need to crate a big libary of high qualety voice in diffent langets.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: is there a Read please replasment linux?

If this is for a visually impaired person you probably want a screen reader, I believe that Orca and emacspeak are the most popular choices.

Orca is a screen reader for Gnome and it's available in Ubuntu's repositories.

There's also an Ubuntu based distribution called Vinux that includes Orca and other accessibility tools for blind and partially sighted people on top of a graphical interface: http://vinuxproject.org/

Blind people have another option called emacspeak, which is a complete audio desktop based on emacs, it doesn't need a graphical environment and it's available in Ubuntu's repositories. More info here: http://emacspeak.sourceforge.net/

If what you want is just a program that reads aloud, a text-to-speech program might be enough, festival and espeak are popular choices, both are available in Ubuntu's repositories, they are command line programs but there are several front-ends available for them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: is there a Read please replasment linux?

If all you are looking for is text to speech to read web pages, then I recommend using the google chrome web browser and install various text to speech engine extentions for the browser to see which one you like best.