Thread: Keyboard has 2 device events

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Keyboard has 2 device events

This is a clone of another thread which I was not able to change the title to. Mods, please delete the old thread as this one has more info.

I've been trying to get Keytouch working so I can use my extra buttons on my MS Digital Media Pro keyboard. I can't seem to get it to work.

After I select the keyboard from the list and configure it, pressing the buttons that didn't work before still does nothing. Interestingly, the Keytouch-editor shows 2 of my keyboard, but only one (2nd listed) responds when I hit those non-working keys. I'm thinking this may be the root of my problem.

Anyone know how I can either get Keytouch to work with the right keyboard entry, or how I can remove the other?

Basically, Ubuntu is recognizing the keyboard twice and logging 2 device events. Keytouch uses the 2nd event, but the default is the 1st. How can I get Ubuntu to have only 1 keyboard event?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Keyboard has 2 device events

Anyone else have issues with Keytouch? I've heard lots of great stuff about it, but I can't get it to work with my keyboard even though it's one of the supported models. Is there another program to get multimedia keys to work?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Exclamation Re: Keyboard has 2 device events

After much searching and zero forum replies, I managed to find this page. It showed me how to do the mappings manually.

For anyone else with the Microsoft Digital Media Pro keyboard, here is the info you need:

in /lib/udev/rules.d/95-keymap.rules find the section titled LABEL="keyboard_usbcheck" and paste the line
    Code:
    ATTRS{idProduct}=="00b0", ATTRS{manufacturer}=="Microsoft", RUN+="keymap $name microsoft-digitalmediapro-keyboard"
    before GOTO="keyboard_end"

then create the file /lib/udev/keymaps/microsoft-digitalmediapro-keyboard with the contents
    Code:
    0xC022D 0xE1 # Zoom +
    0xC022E 0xE7 # Zoom -
    0xC01B7 0xE8 # Music
    0xC019C 0xE9 # LogOut
    0xC01B6 0xEA # Pictures
    You keys will work on your next reboot. (Although the system will recognize them as different keys and need to be bound in the keyboard shortcuts under System Settings.)