Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gnome-power-manager

Beans

gnome-power-manager

Greetings, folks. I'm using Ubuntu 12.04, gnome (no effects) desktop environment. The small icon on the task bar that indicates the battery state is not present. If I go to the menu -> System Tools -> Preferences, there is no power management option.

I have recently purged and reinstalled gnome-power-manager. The command gnome-power-statistics works as expected, but there is no binary called gnome-power-preferences, even though there should be one.

Any thoughts on how I can get this binary and change my preferences? Once in a rare while my laptop accidentally gets unplugged without my noticing and then dies because it runs out of battery very quickly, which is very annoying. Please help!

Beans

Re: gnome-power-manager

anyone? not a major issue of course, but the solution could be instructive

Beans

what about gnome-control-center ?
    (you can type it a interminal if you don't find it in menus )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by ronnystickshift View Post
    there is no binary called gnome-power-preferences, even though there should be one.
    gnome-power-preferences isn't present on my machine, either. What makes you think it should be? If it's experience from earlier releases, then it has probably been replaced with something else.
    Last edited by newb85; September 12th, 2012 at 10:31 AM.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I cannot find any battery gnome applet to add to panel.

But, I have docky installed in my gnome fallback desktop, and you can add a docklet named battery monitor, which shows you its state os charge.
    Last edited by claracc; September 12th, 2012 at 06:47 AM. Reason: missed word

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Also, when I unplug my laptop from ca supply, in the complete mini-application indicator which I have in my panel, appears the icon of the battery, saying how much time remain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Click the gear icon in the upper-right corner of the screen and select "System Settings". Then go to "Power". The last option there should be "Show battery status in the menu bar..." Make sure "Never" is not selected.

Beans

Yes, not sure if I should start a new thread...but I hope my query is applicable here.

I have a Thinkpad notebook and I have just done a clean install of 12.04 LTS server and then installed the GUI using sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends ubuntu-desktop.

I am familiarising myself with Unity (quite a task...but I like what I see ). However when I click the gear icon in the upper-right corner of the screen and select "System Settings". Then go to "Power" I see a nice battery icon which does absolutely nothing when I execute it.

Any idea what I need to load to get the power icon functioning? It is obviously missing files that were not installed by '--no-install-recommends ubuntu-desktop'.

Thanks for any help guys.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Closetheloop View Post
    Yes, not sure if I should start a new thread...but I hope my query is applicable here.

I have a Thinkpad notebook and I have just done a clean install of 12.04 LTS server and then installed the GUI using sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends ubuntu-desktop.

I am familiarising myself with Unity (quite a task...but I like what I see ). However when I click the gear icon in the upper-right corner of the screen and select "System Settings". Then go to "Power" I see a nice battery icon which does absolutely nothing when I execute it.

Any idea what I need to load to get the power icon functioning? It is obviously missing files that were not installed by '--no-install-recommends ubuntu-desktop'.

Thanks for any help guys.
    Not sure I quite understand your situation. Are you saying that when you Click on "Power", the power options don't come up?

If that's the case, please make sure that both gnome-control-center and indicator-power are installed.

Beans

Perfect

Basically:
    - gnome-control-center was already installed:
    - indicator-power was NOT installed:

So I installed indicator-power and now when I login in on battery:
    1) I get a battery image in the top left hand corner which opens up the Power options...
    2) When I select "System Settings" then go to "Power" I see the afore-mentioned battery icon and this time when I execute that icon I also get the Power options.

Thats really nice thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast