View Poll Results: Good idea to make performance a priority in 13.04

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

86 87.76%
  • No.

12 12.24%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 13.04 should be dedicated to performance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

13.04 should be dedicated to performance.

Here are some info.
    1. Compiz and unity are getting slower (even though they were already pretty bad): http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=17836

2. Other DEs, including GS are getting faster.

3. Windows is also getting faster.

4. Unity 2D, the alternative to Unity that does not make everything else run slower is being dropped.

5. Maybe (And this is just a theory), maaaybe we don't have such an urgency into adding features to unity. Maybe we can live on without trying to make unity do yet another thing that is already done well by the web browser or the file browser. Maybe we can survive a 6 months cycle without spending so much effort in these things. Things like previews are cool. But as long as it is not viable to run latest games while unity is on. With Unity-2D gone, I have to switch to gnome-fallback or a terminal before running games. I suspect that windows gamers get good performance without having to switch their desktops.

Therefore, I propose, let us dedicate RR to performance of the ubuntu-only things, and by that, I mean compiz. In fact, let us call it "Rapid Raccoon" or something. I am not saying to stop adding features. Just that the largest priority should be making compiz stop making everything laggy. And I mean, I can't even run Angry Birds in chrome without getting huge performance losses. I have to switch to unity 2D to do that :/

Considering all the design and thought into unity, it is really a shame that it is losing users instantly because of performance. I am not saying that it should be as fast as XCFE, but I see no reason not to make it able to run full screen games without adding slow downs (you know, unity and compiz are idle at that time, so they really shouldn't make things slower). A lot of the design put into unity are simple features that do not need to make everything slower. So, everything points out to compiz being a terrible piece of sofware. Can't that be fixed?
    Last edited by vexorian; September 9th, 2012 at 02:05 PM.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: 13.04 should be dedicated to performance.

adding missing features and fixing bugs
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'd be much more content with Unity and GNOME Shell if I didn't need to log into fluxbox or GNOME fallback mode in order to do anything related to 3d.

Prior to Natty, I'd simply disable desktop effects whenever I decided to do some gaming. Now, I need to disrupt my workflow, close all my stuff, log into a different DE, etc. Really, really annoying.

My desktop environment should not make a noticeable change in my applications. Windows 7 and OS X have no such issues.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kaldor View Post
    I'd be much more content with Unity and GNOME Shell if I didn't need to log into fluxbox or GNOME fallback mode in order to do anything related to 3d.

Prior to Natty, I'd simply disable desktop effects whenever I decided to do some gaming. Now, I need to disrupt my workflow, close all my stuff, log into a different DE, etc. Really, really annoying.

My desktop environment should not make a noticeable change in my applications. Windows 7 and OS X have no such issues.
    +1 really.

Give us a break! 12.10 hasn't even been released yet...
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans

Looking at only one aspect is a recipe for disaster, so no, it should not be dedicated to performance.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by kaldor View Post

Plus 1 for disable effects. I have a powerful enough system now that it isn't an issue but I still have my XP set for performance so that it looks like W2K.

I normally log in to 3D but like knowing that I can log in to 2D.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Fix the heat issue.
    Laptops are melting out there.
    Nobody likes an OS that kills their laptop.
    My site - for my role-playing games, spaceships and stuff like that.

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by codingman View Post
    Give us a break! 12.10 hasn't even been released yet...
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    Looking at only one aspect is a recipe for disaster, so no, it should not be dedicated to performance.
    Exactly. Despite what is posted here, 13.04 will focus on whatever comes out of UDS-R, i.e. a number of things as yet undecided.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu is already darn fast- i would hope they could keep that speed, and focus on 100% stability.

Beans
    Hidden!

but if we don't the bloat the os with flash and flare then all the hipsters will still use windows

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast