Here are some info.
1. Compiz and unity are getting slower (even though they were already pretty bad): http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=17836
2. Other DEs, including GS are getting faster.
3. Windows is also getting faster.
4. Unity 2D, the alternative to Unity that does not make everything else run slower is being dropped.
5. Maybe (And this is just a theory), maaaybe we don't have such an urgency into adding features to unity. Maybe we can live on without trying to make unity do yet another thing that is already done well by the web browser or the file browser. Maybe we can survive a 6 months cycle without spending so much effort in these things. Things like previews are cool. But as long as it is not viable to run latest games while unity is on. With Unity-2D gone, I have to switch to gnome-fallback or a terminal before running games. I suspect that windows gamers get good performance without having to switch their desktops.
Therefore, I propose, let us dedicate RR to performance of the ubuntu-only things, and by that, I mean compiz. In fact, let us call it "Rapid Raccoon" or something. I am not saying to stop adding features. Just that the largest priority should be making compiz stop making everything laggy. And I mean, I can't even run Angry Birds in chrome without getting huge performance losses. I have to switch to unity 2D to do that :/
Considering all the design and thought into unity, it is really a shame that it is losing users instantly because of performance. I am not saying that it should be as fast as XCFE, but I see no reason not to make it able to run full screen games without adding slow downs (you know, unity and compiz are idle at that time, so they really shouldn't make things slower). A lot of the design put into unity are simple features that do not need to make everything slower. So, everything points out to compiz being a terrible piece of sofware. Can't that be fixed?