Thread: AbiWord disappeared - all days work gone???

Beans

AbiWord disappeared - all days work gone???

Hey everyone, I'd been writing all day today and then all of a sudden AbiWord disappeared without a crash report, let alone asking if I wanted to save my work, and there's no recovery file, nothing. The original file's back to what it was this morning - pretty much nothing.

Is there a log of some sort that I could use? Any ideas? You have no idea how much I would appreciate any help!

dsikl

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: AbiWord disappeared - all days work gone???

i suppose you have set your preferences about the saving countdown, then search the file name inside your file browser.

Beans

Re: AbiWord disappeared - all days work gone???

Thanks for your quick reply dino99!

I was used of crash reports and crash recovery options and files coming up as soon as you restart Word (OpenOffice does it I think, LibreOffice I'm not too sure, and Microsoft Office for sure, which I used to use solely pretty much until about a year ago), and this just threw me back to the late 80's, early 90's, when my dad used to lose a lot of his work as a translator all the time until they introduced the auto-save function (or until he realised there was one, I'm not sure, I was little back then

Anyways, I got it solved, it did get saved, there is an auto-save function automatically on with AbiWord too and it saves a copy under the same directory with a .bak~ extension.

BUT!!! It's a hidden file, so you have to turn on the show hidden files in your file manager to see it. Luckily I haven't changed anything on my original file which I reopened, so the .bak~ didn't get overwritten. I copied it to another directory, renamed it by removing the bak extension and it was all there, thank Ubuntu!

If something like this happens to you, your best bet is not to reopen the original file before you find the backup version and get it out of there.

Cheers!

dsikl