Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I get the Premium view on Outlook Web App using Chrome on Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question How do I get the Premium view on Outlook Web App using Chrome on Linux?

The Outlook Web App (OWA) has two versions: Premium and Light. Premium is the default, but if it's unable to be supported, it goes to the Light version which is a stripped down version with no effects or dynamic behavior.

Premium works automatically on almost all browser/OS combinations except for the specific one I am using: Chrome on Linux. You cannot switch to Premium while using Chrome on Linux. I heard there was an extension or workaround that could "trick" OWA into thinking that Chrome on Linux was a compatible browser. Does anyone know of it?
    He's watching you . . .
    WARNING: You are in the presence of a n00b. Stupid questions can and will be asked.
    "Better the pain of hard work than the pain of regret."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How do I get the Premium view on Outlook Web App using Chrome on Linux?

Bumpity bump
    He's watching you . . .
    WARNING: You are in the presence of a n00b. Stupid questions can and will be asked.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by HunterDX77M View Post
    The Outlook Web App (OWA) has two versions: Premium and Light. Premium is the default, but if it's unable to be supported, it goes to the Light version which is a stripped down version with no effects or dynamic behavior.

Premium works automatically on almost all browser/OS combinations except for the specific one I am using: Chrome on Linux. You cannot switch to Premium while using Chrome on Linux. I heard there was an extension or workaround that could "trick" OWA into thinking that Chrome on Linux was a compatible browser. Does anyone know of it?
    There is no "trick". "Premium" uses proprietary IE functions (like ActiveX) that other standards compliant browsers do not have.

"Light" uses features common to all browsers (like JavaScript) and is not as functional because Microsoft deliberately design their systems to only work with 100% functionality with other MS products.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by dcstar View Post
    There is no "trick". "Premium" uses proprietary IE functions (like ActiveX) that other standards compliant browsers do not have.

"Light" uses features common to all browsers (like JavaScript) and is not as functional because Microsoft deliberately design their systems to only work with 100% functionality with other MS products.
    But then how does it explain why the Premium version works fine in Firefox (all OS's), Safari and Chrome (on non-Linux OS's)?

Secondly, I saw someone running Ubuntu and viewing the Premium version on Chrome. When I asked them about it, they specifically told me it was with an extension that "tricked" Outlook into thinking Chrome worked.
    He's watching you . . .

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HunterDX77M View Post
    But then how does it explain why the Premium version works fine in Firefox (all OS's), Safari and Chrome (on non-Linux OS's)?

Secondly, I saw someone running Ubuntu and viewing the Premium version on Chrome. When I asked them about it, they specifically told me it was with an extension that "tricked" Outlook into thinking Chrome worked.
    Pretty sure that dcstar is right seeing as I just checked our OWA on Firefox and Chrome (Windows 7 x64) and they are both forced to light mode.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for but you may find some helpful info at this link http://weblog.etherized.com/posts/183

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

For anyone wondering about this still, I found a solution that involves tricking OWA into thinking you have a different user agent. Run the following from the terminal and you should be able to use the premium OWA.

Code:
    /opt/google/chrome/google-chrome --user-agent="Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/6.0.481.0 Safari/534.4"
    He's watching you . . .

Beans

Nice, works like a charm. What limitation does this have on other websites?

Now just to get Fogger and Ubuntu WebApp Integration to work!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by psypher View Post
    Nice, works like a charm.
    Really?, do all the Premium Outlook Web features work?

The main reason MS do not allow Premium for non-IE browsers is because they provide things that only work with IE.

You might fool the server into delivering the Premium code, but if it contains stuff like ActiveX then I doubt everything will work outside of IE.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans

Looks to me everything is working. At least what I need for now, Mail, Calendar, Rules, GAL lookups. Is there any specific Premium feature you want me to test? I haven't used it much in the past so not sure what's premium and whats not. I just know it looks way better, faster and more like Outlook.

Beans

Hi David,

I thought that Outlook Web required IE specific features also, but I can verify that the full feature set is available for Firefox on Linux. According to Microsoft, Chrome v18 is also supported on Linux. See the following link for more information: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/su...102824601.aspx

-- Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast