Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [HandBrake] FAAC vs FFMPEG or: How to get HE-AAC?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: [HandBrake] FAAC vs FFMPEG or: How to get HE-AAC?

Thanks so much!

Also, meanwhile, I figured how to do it with NeroAacEnc via pipe and ffmpeg. For those who are interested:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i input.ac3 -f wav -ac 2 - | neroAacEnc -q 0.4 -if - -ignorelength -of output.mp4
    I usually choose quality 0.4 for Nero AAC encoder.

However, the direct usage of the libaacplus seems just more elegant. But I don't know if the quality is on par with the Nero encoder. Would really be interested which is superior, Nero or the libaacplus.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

both great quality compared to faac and faad but of course libaacplus wins hands down when you can rip a whole album to 22MB and have sound quality which to my ears is north of mp3 320k......... nero is amazing on quality of sound but you still have the big size for a lossy file

my input for what it's worth
    Last edited by shantiq; September 10th, 2012 at 08:03 PM.
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie

Quote Originally Posted by MrsUser View Post
    Code:
    *** THIS PROGRAM IS DEPRECATED ***
    This program is only provided for compatibility and will be removed in a future release. Please use avconv instead.
    [ac3 @ 0xbbc9c0] max_analyze_duration reached
    [ac3 @ 0xbbc9c0] Estimating duration from bitrate, this may be inaccurate
    Don't know if ffmpeg produces some faulty file there?! Anyway, it played fine. So I suppose the output was ok.

What bothers me though is that with the removal of ffmpeg I'd have to learn how to use avconv. And I can't find an easily understandable wiki/info about it. It has so many options that it confuses me ("avconv -help" presents an endless list of switches).
    Those ac3 messages aren't really errors or warnings, so you don't have to worry about them, especially if the output is okay.

The 'removal' part is just a political squabble that's taking place between FFmpeg and its fork. Debian (and therefore Ubuntu) took sides with the fork. FFmpeg itself is not deprecated, and the removal only refers to the distro supplying the ffmpeg binary (for legacy/compatibility reasons) with the fork's libraries and binaries.

If you would prefer to actually use FFmpeg, you have to build it yourself (well, maybe someone's got a PPA for it, but I don't pay attention since I just build my own). This thread was the go-to guide for doing so, but is now hosted on FFmpeg's wiki. Discussion still continues on that thread, though.

Beans
    Distro

Very good info from you guys! Thank you all so much for your kind help! Now I really know what to do

And I'm glad to find out that these 'error messages' are nothing to worry about. And yes, the output files were fine. However, if ffmpeg is abandoned by Ubuntu, I'll do their switch as well. So I have to dig a bit for avconv guidelines. If it's a fork, perhaps the command lines will just stay the same, except for the name change from ffmpeg to avconv. That'd be convenient.

As for the libaacplus, I will make some personal listening testing. A whole album compressed to 22MB is really amazing if the sound quality is still good then. Personally, I don't hear any difference between a 128kbps mp3 and a 320kbps mp3, for instance. So I guess the libaacplus will produce results that are sufficient for me anyway.

Beans
    Distro

I have found a very nice Open Source software (with GUI) that is available for Linux too. It's called Free Audio Converter or fre:ac (former BonkEnc) and it is able to use external encoders, thus it can also use Nero's CLI (NeroAacEnc):

http://www.nero.com/eng/downloads-ne...-aac-codec.php

To have Nero encoder available as CLI in terminal, you have to put it in usr/bin and make it executable:

Code:
    sudo cp neroAacEnc /usr/bin
    cd /usr/bin
    sudo chmod +x neroAacEnc
    additionally you should also copy Nero's AAC tag tool there:

Code:
    sudo cp neroAacTag /usr/bin
    cd /usr/bin
    sudo chmod +x neroAacTag
    Then open terminal to test if Nero encoder is there and see all available options for usage:

Code:
    neroAacEnc -help
    In case it says it can't find the file, then you're obviously running a 64-bit system. But the Nero encoder is 32-bit. To fix it, install:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install lib32stdc++6
    In many cases this is not needed, as other software might have installed this dependency already. But on a fresh install of 64-bit Ubuntu, Nero will not work unless you install this dependency.

If you have neroAacEnc already in your usr/bin directory, fre:ac will automatically find it and provide it as an encoder option.
    Alternatively, you can also put the neroAacEnc in fre:ac's directory under codecs > cmdline (and you have to make it executable of course; just right-click the file, choose properties and under 'Permissions' check 'Allow executing file as program'):

Project's official homepage:
    http://www.freac.org/

Linux snapshots vailable here, for both 32-bit and 64-bit:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/bonkenc/

The binaries work out of the box in Ubuntu 12.04.

Last edited by MrsUser; October 3rd, 2012 at 01:08 PM.

Beans

Sorry for asking in a 'solved' thread...

When I try to run freac, I get this error:

Code:
    ./freac: error while loading shared libraries: libbz2.so.1.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Any clues?

I'm running Linux Mint KDE, Ubuntu 12.04 inside.
    I verified I've got libbz2 1.0 installed.

(I hope Mint is not a problem to post here. I learnt all about linux here...)
    Last edited by digitall.doc; October 14th, 2012 at 06:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi doc well you may have libbz2-1.0 missing

and it is here for 64 and 32 install it and try again maybe

or
    sudo apt-get install libbz2-1.0
    Last edited by shantiq; October 14th, 2012 at 07:39 PM.
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    ShanArt

Beans

Hi shantiq,
    yes, I already had libbz2-1.0 installed...

...but I had downloaded the wrong 32bit fre:ac version.

Now, with the fre:ac 64bit version, it starts OK.

I will try it working.

Thanx

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by digitall.doc View Post
    Hi shantiq,
    yes, I already had libbz2-1.0 installed...

...but I had downloaded the wrong 32bit fre:ac version.

Now, with the fre:ac 64bit version, it starts OK.

I will try it working.

Thanx
    Yeah, on the download site clicking the large green button downloads the 32-bit version. For 64-bit people have to click that little link 'Browse all files' to see the 64-bit snapshots too:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/bonk...les/snapshots/

Beans
    Distro

as regards the whole he-aac rip/conversion thing freac is good too and thanx never knew of it before [does not rip for me tho gets stuck and freezes at cddb stage]

if you want a simple solution and you can handle basic german [it is only in German] there is also

Plattenkiste under Wine

it will rip very well to HE-AAC [all codecs are in the program]

see image for guidance

Last edited by shantiq; October 15th, 2012 at 08:54 AM.
    ShanArt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast