Thread: upgrade to 12.04.1

Beans

upgrade to 12.04.1

hello everybody, I am thinking of updating via update manager to 12.04.1, and I was wondering will all of my files be wiped from my computer whilst updating or will Ubuntu just update the operating system ?
    I will obviously back everything up onto a separate 500 gig hard drive before going ahead.
    Cheers Kev.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: upgrade to 12.04.1

It should work, but the upgrade is a big change and with some hardware there are issues. Good backups are important particularly of /home.

I would still download a liveCD of 12.04.1. It can be useful if you need to make repairs and you can test it to see if everything from liveCD works on your system.

After doing upgrades every version (every 6 mo) from 6.06 thru 9.04 and then a clean install of 9.10, I now only do clean installs. I had to do the clean install as I was converting from 32bit to 64bit, but clean install did an automatic houseclean and just worked. But good backups are even more important with a clean install. I also cheat with my clean installs and install to a new 25GB / partition, so I can go back and boot old system if I have major issues.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

cheers for that Oldfred, I will be updating possibly tomorrow.

Kev

Beans

Which release are you currently using?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Which release are you currently using?
    I'm using 10.04. lts. I did the upgrade last night after buying an external harddrive
    12.04 works just fine, a few minor snags here and there like trying to work out the new display settings but apart from that it is an excellent upgrade. I am so pleased with it my fellow students now want it after I showed them how it works.