Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Linux Sucks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Why Linux Sucks

First, let me begin by saying that I love Linux! I place no other OS over Linux for the main reasons of its robustness, my ethics and moral. With that said, let me begin.

Linux can be much more than it is now. The competitor, Microsoft, has a big advantage over Linux though and there are many Linux users that aren't even aware of this. The simple fact that Microsoft has a "standard" for its OS puts it in the lead by far in the PC market. Users want simplicity, and most of all, want to be able to go to the store and by software that they know will work. Linux having so many distrobutions and different packages used to install programs is nothing but a headache for companies trying to reach the PC market. Why would EA Games ever make a game for Linux when they can focus on one standard and spend much less to release it for Windows?

Ubuntu seems to be dominating the Linux market and I'm seeing more packages for this distrobution on the Internet than any other distro of Linux. My question is, how long will this last before Ubuntu is pushed off the table and another big distro makes it to the top?

Bottom line, some type of standard needs to be created for Linux and we need to put our heads together and team up on this project. The creation of different distros only hurts the Linux community and makes Microsoft stronger. Please click the link below for a great video expanding on my thoughts...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkgahANeq14

Have any comments on my thoughts? Please reply with your honest opinion, even if you feel that I'm an idiot and need to shut my pie hole

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Why Linux Sucks

Sorry, but no thanks.

I don't want my user experience to be dictated.

The allure of Linux is freedom. I don't see the world as a competition for market share with Microsoft.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

To be honest, I agree. If all of the distributions developed standard and started combining effort, I think a lot of progress would be made. However, you could still have smaller distros for more customizability for the more advanced user. I mean, all I really want is for Fedora, Ubuntu, and Mint, to come together to make it easier for software developers to develop for the platform.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by gardnan View Post
    To be honest, I agree. If all of the distributions developed standard and started combining effort, I think a lot of progress would be made. However, you could still have smaller distros for more customizability for the more advanced user. I mean, all I really want is for Fedora, Ubuntu, and Mint, to come together to make it easier for software developers to develop for the platform.
    Kinda of going to happen I think with valve.... since valve will be supporting aps and such, if you release on valve... you'll be supported by whoever valve supports....

So if your a commercial provider.;... just supply to valve....

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

In my opinion, for such a thing to even begin to be concieved, is for groups working on top of the same base to come together, i.e. Debian based distros. And Debian being one of the more user friendly bases (its really not hard to learn at all), would be the best to go into competition, working on a "super" distro.

Still, there is no reason why this couldn't happen, while retaining (atleast most) of the freedoms we already have.

And for gaming- well, Valve is on its way and you know it'll be easy to get on Debian based distros.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Sorry, but no thanks.

I don't want my user experience to be dictated.

The allure of Linux is freedom. I don't see the world as a competition for market share with Microsoft.
    Your user experience would not be dictated at all. Linux will always be open-source, so the option to customize your OS will forever be there. If you choose to break away from the standard and use a distro for specialized purposes then that wouldn't be a problem. Hehehehe...for example BackTrack

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

It would indeed be nice if the big distros could come up with some sort of standard that would allow developers of applications to simply write and package it once and have it work for everyone. Other distros would be free to ignore it, since this *is* Linux, but combined with some marketing effort something like this could combat the perception that Linux isn't worth developing for because it's too unpredictable.

I don't care about Linux "defeating" anyone for marketshare, but hardware and software support is often a chicken and egg problem with usership, so anything that helps lower the barrier to entry is good in my book. Choice won't be going away just because something is declared the "standard," as people can always be "non-standard" if they really want to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by Incarnadine View Post
    some type of standard needs to be created for Linux and we need to put our heads together and team up on this project.
    Do you mean something like Linux Standard Base[*]? Who can take that seriously when they chose RPM above DEB ?
    [*] http://www.linuxfoundation.org/colla...workgroups/lsb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Jakin View Post
    And for gaming- well, Valve is on its way and you know it'll be easy to get on Debian based distros.
    not just games..... Valve is going to support productivity apps

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Quote Originally Posted by tartalo View Post
    Do you mean something like Linux Standard Base[*]? Who can take that seriously when they chose RPM above DEB ?
    [*] http://www.linuxfoundation.org/colla...workgroups/lsb
    Wow, I had no idea that something like the LSB existed. The information seems very vague though and there are only two distributions that support the latest LSB standards, or maybe I'm missing something?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast