Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Why Linux Sucks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Why Linux Sucks

In 5 years I've needed to use alien for an rpm once or twice - and that was at the beginning.

Any tarballs I've used have been to look at very obscure stuff.

What things are you trying to get that cause you to be tired of doing it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It doesn't matter whether Linux "sucks" or not.

No OS matters.

Applications define the scope of what a user can do with their computer.

Ultimately, every OS is just an app launcher.

At UDS in May this was clearly understood, and the App Showdown has been among many very solid steps to move the platform forward.

As more app developers get on board, more OEMs will consider Ubuntu. And only then will the average person be able to consider Ubuntu, since most folks never consider replacing the OS that came with their computer with something they downloaded off the Internet.

People buy computers, and they come with an OS.

If there is a strong role for Linux on the desktop, it'll happen because OEMs finally decided to stop making pixel-for-pixel clones of each other and to begin for the first time in their history to differentiate by offering a different OS experience.

And that will become possible as more apps become available.

So get coding!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Incarnadine View Post
    Bottom line, some type of standard needs to be created for Linux and we need to put our heads together and team up on this project. The creation of different distros only hurts the Linux community and makes Microsoft stronger.
    We don't need standards.

We need someone who/something that can speak on behalf of GNU/Linux.

Linux is very much like the European Union. Was it Henry Kissinger who said, "If you call Europe, who will pick up?"

At work (being federal government of my country), we have been running SLED for 4 years. SLED (terrible that it is) is being replaced by Windows 7... (Hey, the government of my country is even actively "promoting" MS Windows... Since when does a government promote the product of one single private company, and why am I the only one who finds this questionable, to say th least?)

Who speaks on behalf of SLED? Who defends SLED. (and generally Linux)? No one, not even Novell, it seems. Nor the FSF.

We don't need standards. We need someone or something that can speak on behalf of Linux, just like Microsoft "speaks" on behalf of Windows and Apple on behalf of OS X. Only then can Linux become mainstream and more known to the general public.
    Registered Linux User #495429
    --
    AMD Athlon64 4000+ :: Asus A8V Deluxe :: 4 x 512 MB RAM :: Geforce 6600GT :: Xubuntu 10.04/Linux MInt 13 "Mate"/Windows XP Home

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Interesting and Provocative Video!

Not what you might think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh-cnaJoGCw

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Interesting and Provocative Video!

Threads merged.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

As Ubuntu and derivatives (such as Linux Mint) make up the lion's share of Linux Distro Land, you'll find that Ubuntu-compatible IS the de-facto standard.

Anyone who wants to release software for Linux can very simply release an Ubuntu package, and then take the contents of the package and stuff it into a tarball; and there you go, 95% of Linux users are catered for. Only users running old-by-design distros such as Slackware and RHEL are left out. The Linux desktop is even quite stable in terms of software selection, for the moment at least.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    As Ubuntu and derivatives (such as Linux Mint) make up the lion's share of Linux Distro Land, you'll find that Ubuntu-compatible IS the de-facto standard.

Anyone who wants to release software for Linux can very simply release an Ubuntu package, and then take the contents of the package and stuff it into a tarball; and there you go, 95% of Linux users are catered for. Only users running old-by-design distros such as Slackware and RHEL are left out. The Linux desktop is even quite stable in terms of software selection, for the moment at least.
    So how do you fit the Systemd virus into that?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    So how do you fit the Systemd virus into that?
    A virus ????? I don't think so
    This account is not active.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    A virus ????? I don't think so
    Many of (us) others do...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    Many of (us) others do...
    "systemd is a replacement for the init daemon for Linux (either System V or BSD-style). It is intended to provide a better framework for expressing services' dependencies, allow more work to be done concurrently at system startup, and to reduce shell overhead. The name comes from the Unix convention of suffixing system daemons (background processes) with the letter d."

It is some what disingenuous to describe a system element a virus on a support forum where there maybe visitors less knowledgeable about these things. This is the FUD we so passionately hate when perpetrated by competitors we should not do it to ourselves.
    This account is not active.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast