Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on an old HP laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Question on an old HP laptop

Had to get two new machines (my desktop is humming along but very old). My new machines are as follows:

Toshiba - 17.3" Satellite Laptop, Intel I3 processor - 4GB Memory - 640GB Hard Drive

HP- DV4000 (Intel Processor) 1 GB ram, 100 GB Hard drive. Can I put Ubuntu 12.04 on it since XP will no longer be supported soon?

Matt
    "There is no failure, just ways that don't work" And when this is realized, people are much happier in life because if they stop trying, they fail as to give up. If people take this approach in life, they will never ever fail"

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Question on an old HP laptop

Quote Originally Posted by sox fan Matt View Post
    HP- DV4000 (Intel Processor) 1 GB ram, 100 GB Hard drive. Can I put Ubuntu 12.04 on it since XP will no longer be supported soon?

Matt
    Don't see whynot, load in a live iso/usb and see what you get

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

yep, that's a good machine for linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I've got a disk from 10.04. I'd need to dual boot it (have stories that were written that can't be lost) But I didn't want the machine to go to total waste.

Oddly enough the Toshiba I would think would have a much harder time just because it's Toshiba but am not sure.

My desktop is on the verge of just saying "I quit". 6 years old, heavy usage..etc. That's why I haven't been here..been trying to baby it until I can sell it for a few hundred bucks and get space back.

Matt
    Last edited by sports fan Matt; September 3rd, 2012 at 03:47 PM.
    "There is no failure, just ways that don't work" And when this is realized, people are much happier in life because if they stop trying, they fail as to give up. If people take this approach in life, they will never ever fail"

Beans
    Distro

I had a friend give me an old Toshiba Satellite from around 2005. 512mb RAM, 1.8GHz processor, 60GB HDD. I'd say 1GB ram with the processor your HP has will be fine, particularly with something as lightweight as Lubuntu. Ubuntu would probably be okay too, but maybe better suited to your Toshiba.

I put Lubuntu 12.04 on mine, but it was still a bit sluggish. Another 1GB RAM to beef it up to 1.5, and it's a lot quicker. You've way more beans than me, so you're probably a better judge than i am anyway!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I try to be. The Toshiba is replacing my desktop and I'll travel with it, but not planning on putting Ubuntu on it. (that's my work horse and main PC).

The HP is an around town, older laptop that will serve a purpose for Ubuntu. Not really going to configure it all that much, (even though I could). I guess I'm old fashioned because I set things up and don't tinker with them that much..Matt

Beans

Try Ubuntu on it, something like Xubutu or Lubuntu would probably run better though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

It took me about a day and a half to configure wireless but this machine will dual boot XP and 12.04. Very happy it runs! Matt

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I've got a disk from 10.04. I'd need to dual boot it (have stories that were written that can't be lost) But I didn't want the machine to go to total waste.

Oddly enough the Toshiba I would think would have a much harder time just because it's Toshiba but am not sure.

My desktop is on the verge of just saying "I quit". 6 years old, heavy usage..etc. That's why I haven't been here..been trying to baby it until I can sell it for a few hundred bucks and get space back.

Matt
    You don't have multiple backups?

Beans
    Distro

I guess I'm old fashioned because I set things up and don't tinker with them that much..Matt
    I'm the same these days; set something up how i like it, and then don't mess with it. That whole "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast