Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this why there are so many bugs?

Beans

Is this why there are so many bugs?

Shortly after I reported a bug that turned out to be a duplicate, I found this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/globalmen...n/+bug/1045196 . I'm trying to be nice, but I couldn't help commenting. My experience trying to report bugs in Ubuntu projects has been consistently infuriating.

To spare you some reading, I'll summarize what happened. A recent update broke some Thunderbird menus, and someone duly reported the bug. The first action on the bug report was to mark it invalid because it was not reported with Apport. A link to an article was posted, which says not to report bugs to Launchpad using the Launchpad form! The article further says that bugs will be ignored or marked invalid (presumably as a kneejerk reaction) if they are not reported with Apport.

Really? All the documentation I have seen says that Apport captures crashes. Period. Just how does one use Apport to capture a broken menu?

Am I missing something here?

If it was just this one case (which has been fixed), it wouldn't bother me. But there are other examples. I previously reported a bug that always crashes the entire login session, and yet Apport does not generate a crash report. The bug reports are "invalid", but as far as I know, the bug is still there.

Are serious bug reports being defined away without fixing the bugs? And how does one report a broken menu, with or without Apport?

Beans

Re: Is this why there are so many bugs?

Beans

Yes, some of us also failed to get Mozilla to fix a severe data loss bug. Sometimes bureaucrats dig in their heels. It's a similar problem. Is that what you're referring to?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaMozilla View Post
    Just how does one use Apport to capture a broken menu?
    Open a terminal or hit Alt-F2 and type:
    Code:
    ubuntu-bug packagename
    You'll then be able to fill in any additional details in the Launchpad bug it raises.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There really aren't that many bugs, it's just that there are so many duplicates. To help in making sure your bug isn't marked as a duplicate, or marked as invalid due to not enough information, have a look at this wiki page:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs

BTW the wiki pages are a great resource, more than likely anything you are looking for is available at:

https://help.ubuntu.com/

There is also IRC if you can't wait a few days for an answer to your question.
    Last edited by cariboo; September 7th, 2012 at 09:16 PM.

Beans

Paqman, Cariboo, yes, thanks, the ubuntu-bug command actually works.

Now, if you will notice, there is not a word about that procedure at wiki.ubuntu.com/Apport . Nor is there any notification whatsoever if you file a bug report starting from the Launchport Answers tab.

Do you have any suggestion for getting these problems fixed? It is quite possible to waste huge amounts of time on this. To be useful the information needs to be concise and easily available.

(The command is found at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MozillaTeam/Bugs , however. Sorry, I missed it the first time, although I wish the instructions had been more concise.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ummmm.... go to the linked posted in the OP...... a fix has been released.......

So bug has been fixed..... do a sudo apt-get update.....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaMozilla View Post
    Paqman, Cariboo, yes, thanks, the ubuntu-bug command actually works.

Now, if you will notice, there is not a word about that procedure at wiki.ubuntu.com/Apport . Nor is there any notification whatsoever if you file a bug report starting from the Launchport Answers tab.

Do you have any suggestion for getting these problems fixed? It is quite possible to waste huge amounts of time on this. To be useful the information needs to be concise and easily available.

(The command is found at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MozillaTeam/Bugs , however. Sorry, I missed it the first time, although I wish the instructions had been more concise.)
    If you find a wiki pages is missing information, you can edit the page yourself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    If you find a wiki pages is missing information, you can edit the page yourself.
    again this whole Thread is mute.... the act that the bug was fixed from the thread shows the OPs whole point is invalid

Beans

PrimeFalcon, the reported bug in thunderbird-globalmenu is not the problem. The problem is the very poor documentation on how to file a bug report.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast