Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this why there are so many bugs?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Is this why there are so many bugs?

No, there are "so many bugs" because all software has bugs.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans
    Hidden!

Bugs, Oops, Dam , Heck what happened. Shudder bugs,

This bugs me.

There is one distro I have trusted to sort out Bugs, and it be fairly automated, but not in as seconds or minutes.

So if you reading this thread , then you are connected, time will tell.

Bug disappears = a job well done. Kernel fails after update "Safe Mode", If that fails , back to live install.

if Live install fails , Squeal like a pig . There again if Live Install work first time, !!!!!, so not.

Sometimes Developers of Software do not keep in touch. Remember most do so FOC. don't forget about TGTLTGE.

read the info as regards what you are installing , or what you have installed, is it supported by Ubuntu ?

It be amazing what info the Software Centre provides.

Everything on a plate does not exist , on this side or any other

Enjoy.

alexfish

PS, the Spell-check still can't Recognise , "Ubuntu" , Now that be a bug of all bugs
    Two tin cans are better than an iphone

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_2067160_ma...hone.html?cr=1

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Maybe, but if they actually want people to help with bug reports, they need to make it obvious instead of tucking instructions for some unknown command away in their documentation. ...
    Yes and no.
    Anyone who frequents software forums of any sort will agree that that are hordes of "newbies" convinced they've found a bug. If filing a bug were easy, the triagers, if no one else, would be snowed under.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

simple answer as to why there are bugs..... Ubuntu is a leading edge distro....

if you don't want to see bugs... stick to LTS, and only upgrade to the next when the one your on in near end of support...

For example you should still be using 10.04 and upgrade to 12.04 around April next year then onto 14.04 around April 2017... that is if you really hate bugs.

For example my Desktop is running 12.04... I am happy to deal with bugs.... but on the Netbook which both my wife and I use is still running 10.04
    Last edited by Primefalcon; September 9th, 2012 at 05:26 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Yes and no.
    Anyone who frequents software forums of any sort will agree that that are hordes of "newbies" convinced they've found a bug. If filing a bug were easy, the triagers, if no one else, would be snowed under.
    I know what you're saying is true, but where's the balance? If it's really that bad, then they need to stop making people feel like filing bug reports is a good way to give back to the community. People feel guilty about taking free software without giving anything back, so they end up doing the only thing they know how to do to give back. Then the triagers get snowed under and mad about it.

So if they're upset about getting snowed under, maybe they need to stop advertising that bug reports is a good way to give back.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    I know what you're saying is true, but where's the balance? If it's really that bad, then they need to stop making people feel like filing bug reports is a good way to give back to the community. People feel guilty about taking free software without giving anything back, so they end up doing the only thing they know how to do to give back. Then the triagers get snowed under and mad about it.

So if they're upset about getting snowed under, maybe they need to stop advertising that bug reports is a good way to give back.
    I made up that bit about triagers getting snowed under or mad. I agree that striking a balance (in so many things) isn't simple.

My personal preference is to first ask around in the relevant forum and only then to file a bug if the consensus is that there's really a bug and that it hasn't been reported so far.

Beans
    Hidden!

My personal preference is to first ask around in the relevant forum and only then to file a bug if the consensus is that there's really a bug and that it hasn't been reported so far.
    Why not just disable to ability to do so and only have people that can figure out how to do it be able to file bugs... or better yet, only let people that have been certified as being able to do this successfully file bugs (like after passing a 6 hour written test to prove your competence)...

Or we welcome all attempts and strive to make the system as idiot proof as possible?!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post
    Why not just disable to ability to do so and only have people that can figure out how to do it be able to file bugs... or better yet, only let people that have been certified as being able to do this successfully file bugs (like after passing a 6 hour written test to prove your competence)...

Or we welcome all attempts and strive to make the system as idiot proof as possible?!

If my posts have upset you, please delete them.

Beans
    Hidden!

If my posts have upset you, please delete them.
    If my post has upset you then ... well uhm... I was simply giving my opinion on your opinion

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post
    If my post has upset you then ... well uhm... I was simply giving my opinion on your opinion

My take is that there's quite a bit of ridicule there.

In case there's some misunderstanding, let me rephrase.

• I think there's something wrong with the OS, or app.
    • I post my observation and ask people whether others have the same experience. And if so, whether they know whether a relevant bug exists.
    • In case it needs mentioning, Launchpad has a feature that enables a person to indicate whether a bug affects them too.
    • If the response generally is that there is a problem and that a bug should be filed, then I'm willing to do so.

That is what I meant by: "My personal preference is to first ask around in the relevant forum and only then to file a bug if the consensus is that there's really a bug and that it hasn't been reported so far."

I totally fail to see how a response such "only let people that have been certified as being able to do this successfully file bugs (like after passing a 6 hour written test to prove your competence)..." is applicable.

It maybe that my understanding of the English language isn't adequate but I find it hard to appreciate your opinion on my opinion in a positive light.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast