Page 53 of 206 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast

Thread: Comprehensive Sound Problem Solutions Guide

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Comprehensive Sound Problem Solutions Guide

Creative SB Live (ens1371 driver) and the current card is an eDio Live Theater 5.1 (driver cmipci). Nice and cheap but functional.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Smile Re: Comprehensive Sound Problem Solutions Guide

I just wanted to send out a quick thank you to the writers of this guide. I have only been a Ubuntu user for 2 days now and was able to fix my sound problem. My sound card was recognized but drivers weren't loaded. The guide was well written and easy to follow. Thanks guys. =D>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hey guys,
    I am a noobie to Linux. At first I couldn't get any sound out of my soundcard. After looking through the forums I finally found the solution, and that was before I saw this thread, I was just using search, I should have came to this category.
    But there turned out to be no bug or anything to fix with my soundcard, it was just that almost every channel in the alsamixer was muted. Now I know there was a couple places where it said your sound card may be muted, etc. But the thing was, I didnt know how to undo any of that! Eventually I figured out from the forums to go into alsamixer and unmute everything, and walah my sound worked perfectly.

My comment is just that why isn't the alsamixer integrated into the GUI, like in the System>>Preferences>>Sound? I may sound like a noob because I would like it in the GUI, but I thought that would much easier, or at least something in the sound section that would lead you to the alsamixer in the Terminal. Everything worked out fine for me, but I was just wondering why alsamixer isn't in an easier place like the sound preferences where it seems a logical place, or some GUI link ti the alsamixer.

It just took me awhile to figure out that there was no problem and to go into alsamixer and unmute everything and turn up the volume. I am very thankful for this forum though because you guys are so helpful!

Thanks,
    Craig

Beans

I wondered that myself. Still, it's pretty easy to get a GUI for it if you want. If you have the extra repositories enabled, you can find "alsamixergui" in Add/Remove and Synaptic. It's a tiny package, takes maybe five seconds to download. After that, you'll find it in your applications menu under Sound & Video.

Beans

Hi all,
    Im new to linux, I have just recently installed ubuntu on my desktop. I do not seem to get any sound coming out of my speaker. I have tried LordRaiden's guide, tried one of the drivers from alsa-project mentioned in the guide several times, tried the tips also but I still can't hear anything. I have also unmute everything in alsamixer. I have an onboard soundcard. On windows I use this driver http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx...0&SubCatID=104
    I was searching for a similar driver for linux and i found this http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx...0&SubCatID=104, but Im not sure whether it's compatible with Ubuntu. Anyway, if anyone can help me solve my problem, it'd be so much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by sabotai; March 23rd, 2007 at 01:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Xubuntu 6.10 welcome.wav plays on startup then no more sound

Fresh install, tried all the suggestions from other forums (including this one) - but so far, no luck.

aplay -l shows the proper card, drivers are loaded, (snd-intel8x0, snd-ac97, etc) alsamixer shows nothing muted, but after logging in if I run ps -elf I see the following:

4 S root 4508 4141 0 78 0 - 415 wait 14:28 ? 00:00:00 /bin/sh /usr/lib/gdmplay /usr/share/sounds/question.wav
    4 S root 4509 4508 0 75 0 - 1061 41 14:28 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/aplay -q -N /usr/share/sounds/question.wav
    1 S root 4513 1 0 75 0 - 986 25 14:28 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/aplay -q -N /usr/share/sounds/question.wav

If I killall aplay then I can get aplay to play the welcome.wav one more time, but that's it. Then there are no more sounds until the next reboot.

Also, not sure if this has anything to do with the sound issue but it seems like it does, trying to play anything in gxine results in a freeze (after 6 seconds for video, less than 1 second for audio) and I have to use xkill to get rid of the gxine window. Before this fresh install (after trying all the other fixes) I tried Amarok, Mplayer, and xmms with the same results as gxine (which is I why I think it is probably related to the sound issue.)

Once I have crashed out of gxine, restarting it I get an error that it can't find the input device? aplay -l still shows the sound card at that time.

Thanks

(PS new to Ubuntu, but not to Linux - longtime Gentoo user)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Shampyon View Post
    I wondered that myself. Still, it's pretty easy to get a GUI for it if you want. If you have the extra repositories enabled, you can find "alsamixergui" in Add/Remove and Synaptic. It's a tiny package, takes maybe five seconds to download. After that, you'll find it in your applications menu under Sound & Video.
    Thanks Shampyon!

I'll do that, for easier access in the future when I need to change stuff in the mixer.
    Thanks for addressing the noob issue, I didn't know there was a GUI out there for it. That is nice, although i think it should just be thrown in the default installation to make it easier for noob sound troubles.

Thanks,
    Craig

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Here's what I'm getting. As you can see, no input at all. Plays sound, yes. But for some reason all input has vanished - mic,line, etc. I didn't change anything. Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Xubuntu 6.10 welcome.wav plays on startup then no more sound

Quote Originally Posted by sjan View Post
    Fresh install, tried all the suggestions from other forums (including this one) - but so far, no luck.

aplay -l shows the proper card, drivers are loaded, (snd-intel8x0, snd-ac97, etc) alsamixer shows nothing muted, but after logging in if I run ps -elf I see the following:

4 S root 4508 4141 0 78 0 - 415 wait 14:28 ? 00:00:00 /bin/sh /usr/lib/gdmplay /usr/share/sounds/question.wav
    4 S root 4509 4508 0 75 0 - 1061 41 14:28 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/aplay -q -N /usr/share/sounds/question.wav
    1 S root 4513 1 0 75 0 - 986 25 14:28 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/aplay -q -N /usr/share/sounds/question.wav

If I killall aplay then I can get aplay to play the welcome.wav one more time, but that's it. Then there are no more sounds until the next reboot.

Also, not sure if this has anything to do with the sound issue but it seems like it does, trying to play anything in gxine results in a freeze (after 6 seconds for video, less than 1 second for audio) and I have to use xkill to get rid of the gxine window. Before this fresh install (after trying all the other fixes) I tried Amarok, Mplayer, and xmms with the same results as gxine (which is I why I think it is probably related to the sound issue.)

Once I have crashed out of gxine, restarting it I get an error that it can't find the input device? aplay -l still shows the sound card at that time.

Thanks

(PS new to Ubuntu, but not to Linux - longtime Gentoo user)

Okay - installed rhythmbox - I can get some sound, about .5 seconds of .wav or .ogg files, then rhythmbox freezes just like gxine and the others. I have attached the settings in alsamixer as seen with Gnome ALSA Mixer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Woohoo!!! fixed my sound issue. Only one click needed =\ DAMN. BTW, I opened up the volume control and click on the "switches" tab and UNTICK headphone jack sense -.-. GAH.

Page 53 of 206 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast