Page 10 of 206 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Comprehensive Sound Problem Solutions Guide

Beans

Re: Comprehensive Sound Problem Solutions Guide

I seem to have the same problem as Azmodean. I have too have an nForce board (nForce 2), I've loaded the intel8x0 module, but it gives no output. I followed the rest of the guide, but there's nothing that makes it work, unfortunately.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

If you have a .asoundrc file in your home directory (/home/username) remove it then reboot and try again.

If it does not work, then I suggest you file a bug report at alsa-project. The link is in my signature.

Beans

I have no .asoundrc file. So that's it then? No way I can get the sound to work except file a bug report and hope it gets fixed sometime soon?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

If the module is loaded and provides no sound, it can be one of three things.

1) Connection problem (physical connections, sound jacks, motherboard audio connectors)
    2) Setting problem (this includes .asoundrc file, sound options in applications, and alsamixer channels)
    3) Driver error (bad compile, errors in dmesg, or even no visible errors)

Try playing an MP3 and look at the visualization/track time indicator. If the visualizations are *playing* and the track timer is increasing, then something is playing. It could easily be 1) or 2)

If that does not work, you should get some error in dmesg stating that a related module was not loaded. If you do not, then you should file a bug report.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

[QUOTE=LordRaiden;1274655]ivotedforkodos - I would try the *fresh* kernel install guide in your case. You might have to reinstall gdm, but that it not too difficult.

Thanks, LordRaiden. Check this out:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=218685

Am I correct in thinking that I can just delete some configuration file inside my home directory, rather than reinstalling gdm entirely? If so, pleas e let me know if you have any ideas as to which one. Thanks.

FYI: ~/.xsession-errors contains a lot of this:

Code:
    ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
    ALSA lib conf.c:3493:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such device
    ALSA lib confmisc.c:1072:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
    ALSA lib conf.c:3493:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such device
    ALSA lib conf.c:3962:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such device
    ALSA lib pcm.c:2102:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
    ALSA lib confmisc.c:672:(snd_func_card_driver) cannot find card '0'
    ALSA lib conf.c:3493:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such device
    Last edited by ivotedforkodos; July 19th, 2006 at 11:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I followed your guide step-by-step until I came to Alasa Driver Copilation and got the following:

Code:
    user5@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r) module-assistant alsa-source
    Password:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    build-essential is already the newest version.
    Package linux-headers-2.6.12-9-386 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source
    E: Package linux-headers-2.6.12-9-386 has no installation candidate
    What should I do now?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Pizza-the-Hut - what version kernel are you running? by the looks of it 2.6.12-9 is really old.

ivotedforkodos - i suggest that you try my guide first, but the file that you would delete in your hoem directory would be .asoundrc. Your errors look a bit more troublesome though (can't find card 0). Give it a shot. Honestly, reinstalling gdm is not too bad, as long as you do not reboot after the remove and you reinstall afterwards you will be fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I should have the latest version, because I always install updates as soon as they are available.

Beans

Impressive Howto, but by following it I have completely buggered up my laptop.

My Dell Latitude -- which had been happily working under Dapper for several weeks -- had suddenly gone silent, maybe because of some flakey update who knows, so I was following the uninstall-then-reinstall bit in this Howto. I did the uninstall and the reinstall, then discovered the part of the Howto where you say:

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: Ubuntu (GNOME) users have reported that packages 'gdm' and 'ubuntu-desktop' are removed after removing the lsound packages. If this happens, then do the following
    Code:

sudo apt-get install gdm ubuntu-desktop
    If you do that, at a certain point it asks you to
    Code:
    insert the disc labelled Ubuntu 6.06 _Dapper Drake_ - Alpha i386 (20060329.1) in the drive /cdrom/ and press enter
    Unfortunately, my laptop does not have a built-in CD-ROM drive. You have to attach it externally, and if you don't do so before you boot, then the system doesn't recognise it. Maybe you have to mount it, but, being a Newbie, I'm not sure about how to do the mount command. so at this point I reboot my system, having first attached the external CD-ROM drive. When it reboots, I get only the command line, no GUI.

So I log in and then, following advice in another thread, key in this:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude update
    It updates all the repositories (I think). Then I key in
    Code:
    sudo apt-get gdm ubuntu-desktop
    It proceeds to list all the packages it will install, then it asks for the magic disc. I assume this is the current Ubuntu Live disc -- it's the only disc I've got for Ubuntu. So I put it in, close the drive and hit enter as instructed, and it simply repeats the instruction to insert the disc and press enter.

Is this the wrong disc?
    Is it not reading the drive?

Who knows. The only thing I know at this point is that I can no longer use my laptop. Any suggestions would be welcome.
    Sigh

ON EDIT-

I now strongly suspect the CD drive itself, a dodgy mechanism at best. With the Ubuntu live disc in the drive, a reboot should sense it and run it as a RAM-based live system, but it doesn't, and boots from the hard disc instead (boot sequence in the BIOS is CD/floppy/HDD). In summary, while this Howto triggered a problem, hardware is preventing its solution.

It raises an interesting question about why these uninstalls should require removal of seemingly unrelated and critical programs like gdm, ubuntu-desktop, nautilus, etc., but that's off-topic and best discussed elsewhere.
    Last edited by SteveHoffmanUK; July 21st, 2006 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Further information/experimentation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by LordRaiden View Post
    ivotedforkodos - i suggest that you try my guide first, but the file that you would delete in your hoem directory would be .asoundrc. Your errors look a bit more troublesome though (can't find card 0). Give it a shot. Honestly, reinstalling gdm is not too bad, as long as you do not reboot after the remove and you reinstall afterwards you will be fine.
    OK, I tried reinstalling gdm as you suggested and that did NOT solve the problem. I do not (nor do any of the other users of this computer), have a .asoundrc file in my home directory. But I still think it has to be something in my home directory, since the other users have sound, and I hear the Ubuntu bongos at the GDM login screen. Please give me some other ideas. Could it be something in the .gnome folder?

Page 10 of 206 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast