Fat32 3Gb Back up of old pictures and some music
    Fat32 80Gb Music collection back up
    Ext2 80Gb Virtual Machine Partition
    Mine is like this
    ext4 / 8.93 Gb
    swap 8 Gb
    ext4 /home 901 Gb
    ext4 /Downloads 497 Gb

I am now in the process of returning the partitions back to original sizes except I guess there is something keeping a 1 Gb unallocated space between / and swap. Gparted says 1.5 hrs to complete checking file system reading block size 16.00 MIB then I think the actual resize begins using 2.0 MIB block reads and that will take 8 hrs again. When upgrading to 12.04 can I change the partitions to ext2 /Boot, swap 4 Gb, Ext4 / 30 Gb, Ext4 /Home 900 Gb and Ext4 /Downloads 497 Gb without losing data as long as I don't format /Home or stay with 11.10?
    Last edited by goatroper; September 7th, 2012 at 06:02 PM. Reason: clarity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Expanding boot partition Gparted

Quote Originally Posted by goatroper View Post
    Mine is like this
    ext4 / 8.93 Gb
    swap 8 Gb
    ext4 /home 901 Gb
    ext4 /Downloads 497 Gb

I am now in the process of returning the partitions back to original sizes except I guess there is something keeping a 1 Gb unallocated space between / and swap. Gparted says 1.5 hrs to complete checking file system reading block size 16.00 MIB then I think the actual resize begins using 2.0 MIB block reads and that will take 8 hrs again. When upgrading to 12.04 can I change the partitions to ext2 /Boot, swap 4 Gb, Ext4 / 30 Gb, Ext4 /Home 900 Gb and Ext4 /Downloads 497 Gb without losing data as long as I don't format /Home or stay with 11.10?
    As long as you don't reformat /home or resize it all your files and settings will be kept intact and transferred to the new install and another thing to about your /downloads if your going to use that as a backup don't give it a mount point and format it as Fat32 that way if anything where to happen to your system the unmounted Fat32 filesystem would be safe and accessible from virtually any operating system I have two separate unmounted Fat32 partitions one for backups of Pictures and one for a backup of all my music (I lost 50Gbs of Music once won't happen again)

oh yeah and yes you can reformat /boot as ext2 with no worries the boot time is noticeably faster i'd suggest resizing it to about 500mb-1Gb and using the extra space as either an extension of your / filesystem or for a Fat32 filesystem 8 Gb's probably isn't enough for / so I'd suggest resizing it to atleast 20Gb I personally use 37Gb just to be safe I ran out of room on / partition once (it was 10-12Gb can't remember it was like 2 years ago) but that's what i'd suggest.
    Last edited by Epodx64; September 7th, 2012 at 06:27 PM.
    + Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 64bit +
    Lubuntu 12.04 PPC 32bit G4 | Ubuntu 12.04 PPC 64bit G5

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I cannot recommend FAT32 for anything except smaller external devices where it may be required. It cannot store a file over 4GB and has no journal so recovery is more difficult.

NTFS is ok for compatibility with Windows as it will store large files & has journal so Window's chkdsk runs faster.
    But NTFS will not maintain ownership nor permissions for Linux files, so it should only be used for data.

If upgrading /home has user & program settings, but not the programs.

from lovinglinux - use dpkg to list installed apps
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...75&postcount=5
    http://kevin.vanzonneveld.net/techbl...selectupgrade/
    From old install
    dpkg --get-selections > ~/my-packages
    From New install
    sudo dpkg --set-selections < my-packages
    sudo apt-get -y update
    sudo apt-get dselect-upgrade

List is just a long text file, but you may want to houseclean out older packages like OpenOffice as it now is LibreOffice and you do not need nor want both.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    I cannot recommend FAT32 for anything except smaller external devices where it may be required. It cannot store a file over 4GB and has no journal so recovery is more difficult.

NTFS is ok for compatibility with Windows as it will store large files & has journal so Window's chkdsk runs faster.
    But NTFS will not maintain ownership nor permissions for Linux files, so it should only be used for data.

If upgrading /home has user & program settings, but not the programs.

from lovinglinux - use dpkg to list installed apps
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...75&postcount=5
    http://kevin.vanzonneveld.net/techbl...selectupgrade/
    From old install
    dpkg --get-selections > ~/my-packages
    From New install
    sudo dpkg --set-selections < my-packages
    sudo apt-get -y update
    sudo apt-get dselect-upgrade

List is just a long text file, but you may want to houseclean out older packages like OpenOffice as it now is LibreOffice and you do not need nor want both.
    Thanks for everyones input as that is what Ubuntu and Linux great. I am waiting for the resizing back to original to complete as it now says 5 hr 30 min to finish and it should be back to basicly where it was before I began. As soon as I can boot into it and make sure I haven't lost anything or trashed the system I will do an upgrade install using the tools and suggestions provided me. I will post success and at that time mark it solved if it is. Thanks again all.

Just booted back into system and no damage done. As explained earlier /boot is in / and that was the problem cleaned out old linux-images and old linux-headers and now have space to spare. When I do the upgrade I will make /boot seperate 1Gb partition and thta should take care of the furure peroblems, Thanks to all again
    Last edited by goatroper; September 8th, 2012 at 04:18 AM. Reason: Solved

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12