Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Disk /dev/sdb doesn't contain a valid partition table

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Disk /dev/sdb doesn't contain a valid partition table

Since you do not directly write to an extended partition, but only the the logical partitions inside the extended, then the warning on extended partitions does not matter. And it only matters on new 4K or SSD drives and is not really important on older drives.

I have seen the Partition outside of disk error, but it looks like an extraneous error. Not sure if from BootInfo, script or parted, but I think it is just a bug.

Some BIOS need a boot flag, but you have one. You should not need a NTFS partition.

I think your BIOS is showing drive. But sometimes it is not intuitively obvious how the move the second entry to be the first in the drive order. Perhaps manual has info. Sometimes arrow keys, sometimes spacebar or tab move things around.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I may be able to move the SDB to the first drive, I'm concerned I might end up bricking my new computer.

What really bothers me is it is not showing up in the BIOS graphical area, but my external WD drive does show up in the graphical area when it is plugged in.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You should always be able to get to BIOS to change things back if that is a concern.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

oldfred and darkod,

Thank You Very Much! If they had a smily that was bowing, I would put it in. Your help was just what I needed!

What was that saying "No guts no glory"

Well, I went deep into the BIOS, because of you darkod. I started looking around, and saw where i might be able to change it. But I didn't want to brick my computer. I posted that and with oldfred's reassurance I would change it back if I failed and would not brick the computer... I tried it.

It worked!

For others who have the same problem Here are the steps i took:

1. I went into the BIOS as my computer was booting.
    2. From there I went into the "Advanced" setting.
    3. From there I found a link called "Hard Drive BBS Priorities" and I clicked on it
    4. Once I was in "Hard Drive BBS Priorities" I clicked on Boot Option #1
    5. I saw my SDB drive (it is listed by the manufacturer and S/N so I selected it.

I then saved my new selections and re-booted. Grub came up!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Glad you got it working and thanks for update on details how.

Beans

My pleasure!

Hopefully someone with the same problem will read this and be able to solve it. Or at least you can point them to this thread when you reply to their request for help.

I tried to lay out the steps I took to be very clear, so even a neophyte like myself can follow them

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234