Thread: update-manager not prompting for authorisation, won't install updates

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Question update-manager not prompting for authorisation, won't install updates

Not sure why this is happening but I did a fresh install of Lubuntu 12.04 the other day, and for some reason update-manager seems to be broken.

I get messages flashing up telling me there are updates available and listing them out, as expected. But when I hit install nothing happens - no prompt for authorisation.

The system looks like it's thinking about doing something for a second or two but then just goes back to its original state, still showing the same list of updates to be done.

If I go to the command line and
    Code:
    sudo update-manager
    then the updates are applied fine (without the authorisation prompt, obviously).

Has anyone else had this? It's hardly a show-stopper but seems odd. I'm fairly sure the Lubuntu VM I set up earlier today didn't feature this, but the only significant difference I can think of is that I'm accessing this one via Remote Desktop, surely that's not it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: update-manager not prompting for authorisation, won't install updates

Quote Originally Posted by steveferson View Post
    Not sure why this is happening but I did a fresh install of Lubuntu 12.04 the other day, and for some reason update-manager seems to be broken.

I get messages flashing up telling me there are updates available and listing them out, as expected. But when I hit install nothing happens - no prompt for authorisation.

The system looks like it's thinking about doing something for a second or two but then just goes back to its original state, still showing the same list of updates to be done.

If I go to the command line and
    Code:
    sudo update-manager
    then the updates are applied fine (without the authorisation prompt, obviously).

Has anyone else had this? It's hardly a show-stopper but seems odd. I'm fairly sure the Lubuntu VM I set up earlier today didn't feature this, but the only significant difference I can think of is that I'm accessing this one via Remote Desktop, surely that's not it?
    You may want to go to the packagae manager and try doing a reinsatall on the update-manager. It would be a good place to start.

As a side note. Your discription of your OS says 7.10 in the side bar maybe you should update it to 12.04.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

please file a bug, someone has to

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Try running "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" from a terminal there may be a new fixed version of the update manager already there.