Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Failed to execute default web browser - input output error

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Exclamation Failed to execute default web browser - input output error

So I have google-chrome-beta (Version 22.0.1229.26 beta) installed, and Xfce is having issues with it. Whenever I try and pass a URL through to my web browser (say, opening a link from irssi), it opens in a new tab in Chrome (great) but then returns an error saying "failed to execute default web browser - input output error." (profoundly annoying).

This only happens with Chrome, if my browser is set to Opera, it opens in a new tab in Opera and does not return the error. Same thing with Firefox. This bothers me because Chrome is the browser I want to use. Any ideas on how to resolve this? Even just suppressing the error message would work wonders for me. Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Failed to execute default web browser - input output error

Quote Originally Posted by unheeding View Post
    So I have google-chrome-beta (Version 22.0.1229.26 beta) installed, and Xfce is having issues with it. Whenever I try and pass a URL through to my web browser (say, opening a link from irssi), it opens in a new tab in Chrome (great) but then returns an error saying "failed to execute default web browser - input output error." (profoundly annoying).

This only happens with Chrome, if my browser is set to Opera, it opens in a new tab in Opera and does not return the error. Same thing with Firefox. This bothers me because Chrome is the browser I want to use. Any ideas on how to resolve this? Even just suppressing the error message would work wonders for me. Thanks in advance.
    You are using a beta version and you should expect errors. See if you can file a bug report with Google Chrome. They release beta verison for testing. If you do not want to test it, and want a more solid verison use the latest stable release. If your problem goes away then you will know it is the beta that is the problem.
    Just for the record I am having an issue with Chrome but it is different then your problem.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro

Unhappy Re: Failed to execute default web browser - input output error

Okay, the problem was with the Beta/Unstable version of Chrome... although I do really want to run the bleeding edge versions, but obviously they have some problems with Xfce. (KDE works fine, sigh)

Edit: Thank you irv.

Beans

Well, Chrome 22 is the stable version now and I'm having the same problem. Somehow chrome 22 and xfce do things that previously were ok, but aren't anymore

Beans

same here ... chrome 22 and xfce do not kiss ...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I am experiencing this as well. I have Chrome mapped to my "Mail Reader" main menu icon, with gmail and facebook opening up in separate tabs upon launch. If Chrome is not open already, this works fine. However, if Chrome is already open, then if I select "Mail Reader" again, a new Chrome window opens and this error occurs.

Beans

Did anyone post this error to bugtrack of Chrome or xfce?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jigsaw! View Post
    Did anyone post this error to bugtrack of Chrome or xfce?
    https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9346

Beans
    Distro

Here's a workaround:

1. Close Chrome
    2. In Xfce's preferred applications menu, select google-chrome (try changing it to Firefox and back to Chrome if you want to be thorough)
    3. Start Chrome
    4. When it asks if you want to set it as the default browser, choose no.

and voila, should work.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by unheeding View Post
    Here's a workaround:
    [...]
    and voila, should work.
    Mh, I tried the workaround you're outlining above, but it doesn't work for me. In Google Chrome, I chose not to set it as default browser and it doesn't say so in Chrome's preferences. Nevertheless, the error remains... any ideas?
    MB Pro 6,2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast