Thread: DriverIssue

Beans

Lightbulb DriverIssue

New to Linux. I have downloaded drivers from the manufacturers website, but haven't got a clue how to install them. I tried the readme.txt file. It was beyond me interpreting the readme.txt. I would like to install ASUS drivers onto my machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: DriverIssue

You need to be more specific. What ASUS drivers? (They make tons of stuff.)

What kind of file did you download? (.tar.gz, .deb, something else?) If you downloaded a .exe it will not work.

Beans

Question Re: DriverIssue

"Linux_PCE_N15_1008" is the file I downloaded from ASUS. Ends with zip. Its for my wireless Card. I want to know how to make it in the terminal. Was confounded reading the text. Build-Essentials is not in the software center before you ask? Thanks for replying.

Beans

Re: DriverIssue

"Linux_PCE_N15_1008" is the file I downloaded from ASUS. Ends with zip. Its for my wireless Card. I want to know how to make it in the terminal. Was confounded reading the text. Build-Essentials is not in the software center before you ask? Thanks for replying.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Lightbulb Re: DriverIssue

You gave much more detail in the private message you sent to me, so I'm including it here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubone2
    Sorry for the not so complete thread. I am new to LINUX. I can't get my wireless "ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E 1x 300Mbps Wireless-N Network Adapter" to connect to my "Trend-net TEW-432BRP" router. I thought maybe the wireless driver needed installing. I downloaded it from ASUS. It is a zip file labeled " Linux_PCE_N15_1008". Thanks in advance.
    After reading through the readme, it seems to be a straight-forward "make" install with no configure script. The instructions are laid out in heading II, but I'll post them here too.
    Code:
    sudo su
    make
    make install
    reboot
    Of course you need to extract the zip and cd to the directory you extracted it to first.

P.S.: Welcome to Linux. I'm a new user myself. Only been using it for 2 months. Once you get used to it, you'll never use Windows again.