Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Do you trick out or go stock Desktop?

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Do you trick out or go stock Desktop?

I don't pimp or trick out but I do like to customize little usability features like the panel, it's location and panel applets. It's the reason I steer clear of Unity.

rai4shu2 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The most I ever do lately is tweak themes by hand. You can make some pretty slick desktops that way with very little "tricking out" involved.

Beans

Even when I used Windows, I would trick the desktop out to the point where friends wouldn't know what OS I was using at times. :3

With Ubuntu, I do very little tweaking. I change icons... the theme, and wallpaper. But, nothing much beyond that. Not familiar enough to start messing with system files.

Besides, I like my set up as it is.

Beans

Talking Re: Do you trick out or go stock Desktop?

At bra|10n, Thanks for the information I will look into it.

Beans

Like the OP, I used to be a tweaker but no more.
    I would tweak every corner of the OS. Custom splash screens, custom fonts, I would manually edit theme config files to get them exactly how I wanted. I made custom themes for firefox and thunderbird too.
    I even used to re-arrange app menus (in old KDE 3 and gnome 2) into categories of my own choosing.
    It would often take well over a week or more after a fresh install to get things exactly how I wanted and i dreaded new install time.

But times change and now I want an OS up and running as quickly as possible and do as little as possible to get it setup.
    Although I think KDE is the best DE, I moved away from it for this reason. The default setup didn't suit me and once I started tweaking I couldn't stop so moved to unity.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678