Thread: New PC configuration suggestion.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

New PC configuration suggestion.

Hi friends,

My home PC is pretty old (1.8 Ghz P4 processor, 40GB HDD and 128MB ram). I want to reassemble my PC, but I cant invest lot of money into it. From what I see the major components I need are MotherBoard, Processor, RAM and HDD.
    Can anyone please name some companies and model numbers of the hardwares which work well on Ubuntu/Kubuntu or *buntu.

I also have some queries regarding performance of processors. I was planning for Intel i3 processors. I heard that AMD processors are cheaper than Intel processors. Are AMD processors as good as Intel processors? If yes, which processor is equivalent to i3?

Sorry I forgot to add few details about usage:
    My home PC is mostly going to be used for Internet Surfing, Office documents and Playing songs.
    Last edited by c2tarun; September 4th, 2012 at 11:34 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: New PC configuration suggestion.

I'm using AMD 1070T processor with Asus mobo. I think the better choices you are having are AMD 1070 and AMD 1090 processors. They both have multiple cores. Linux Support is based on the chip-set rather than the motherboard company. My suggestion is to go with better graphics card. If you are looking for on-board integrated graphics, make sure that they are supported at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver before making the choice of motherboard.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao View Post
    I'm using AMD 1070T processor with Asus mobo. I think the better choices you are having are AMD 1070 and AMD 1090 processors. They both have multiple cores. Linux Support is based on the chip-set rather than the motherboard company. My suggestion is to go with better graphics card. If you are looking for on-board integrated graphics, make sure that they are supported at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver before making the choice of motherboard.

Sorry for such a noob question, When you say chip-set what do you exactly mean by chip-set?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by c2tarun View Post
    Sorry for such a noob question, When you say chip-set what do you exactly mean by chip-set?
    Sorry for the delay. I mean to say the actual graphics and other stuffs used by the motherboard. You can check this page for better idea. Also, consider the graphics (Nvidia/ATI) when you selecting the motherboard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: New PC configuration suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by c2tarun View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipset

To the Tread creator:

Your Budget??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Beans
    Distro

My current build is a Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2PT w/ LGA 775 Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3Ghz 4GiB's DDR3 1066 Ram (crucial) 250GB+160GB WD SATA HDDs 3Gb/s this build has worked flawless for me and it only cost me about 175$ The mobo was only 50$ (microcenters) I got the processor for 35$ pulled it from a dead HP Elite 8000 Rocketfish Heat sink and Fan 20$ Crucial 2Gb DDR3 Ram $13.99x2 I had the 250Gb HDD from my old build and the 160Gb HDD I also pulled from the HP Elite 8000.

(my old build was a Jetway MCP61 w/ Amd Athlon 64 x2 6000+ 4GiB DDR2 800 Ram and an Integrated Nvidia Geforce 6150se Nforce 430 the intergrated Nvidia card gave me so many problems after 10.04 that it was a major reason I upgraded my build overall the Intel Core 2 Duo seems quite a bit faster then the Athlon both were clocked at 3Ghz but the Athlon was 95nm i think versus the 45nm Intel)
    + Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 64bit +
    Lubuntu 12.04 PPC 32bit G4 | Ubuntu 12.04 PPC 64bit G5