Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does Xubuntu need a bit more love? Chapter 2.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Does Xubuntu need a bit more love? Chapter 2.

Quote Originally Posted by bob-linux-user View Post
    5) Have a places menu exactly the same as gnome 2 would be nice
    sudo apt-get install xfce4-places-plugin

I particularly don't need "graphical" theme changes, because choosing them from the list shows the changes immediately, and will also let you spot themes that lack gtk3 support (if you leave a gtk3 app open).

More interesting would be an "install theme" button/drag & drop area, to avoid having to manually decompress a file into ~/.themes, and of course another button to remove them (user installed themes only).
    i5-2500, Asus p8p67le, 8g ddr3, gtx460. Eeepc 701 4g surf.

vm.swappiness=0;noatime,data=writeback;deadline scheduler;preload.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I am loving Xubuntu these days. It has a perfect balance of speed, usability, and looks. It has all the features you really need from a modern desktop. From my experience Xfce is almost as fast as LXDE (for real world use), but is much more polished, and has features like built in WM compositing.

I am surprised Xfce and Xubuntu are not more popular, especially with all the Unity and Gnome 3 hate that was going around (not so much on the Unity anymore though).
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans

I have just installed Xubuntu after breaking my Ubuntu installation with my tinkering

I love Xubuntu and may make it my primary OS because it is quick and stable which is a winning combination.

Beans

XFCE is great. The standard Xubuntu install is not so great but is you do a base install and add your own stuff you end up with a lightning fast os.

Beans

Probably overkill but me want http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wshwmSj7o30
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by arsenic23 View Post
    Well xfdesktop is awful. I want to smoosh my desktop icons around and form little piles. xfdesktop only lets you keep them in a grid.
    Yes, but this is surprisingly easy to remedy. Look here. You can make the grid as large or small as you like.

I don't like thunar or any file manager anymore really.
    I don't either. Linux Devs get all Theocratic and Ideological when it comes to File Managers. It's just stupid. I was just reading an article about Gnome devs who refused to add a feature to Nautilus because <gasp> KDE's Dolphin already "does that". I mean, how neck-beard-immature can you get?

Personally I think a good linux DE should be, above all else, modular.
    That *is* the nice thing about XFCE. E17 is also like this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenKingpin View Post
    I am surprised Xfce and Xubuntu are not more popular, especially with all the Unity and Gnome 3 hate that was going around (not so much on the Unity anymore though).
    It's the bling. Linux users are like moths. XFCE doesn't have bling. They may hate Unity, G3S and even KDE, but they have bling. They can't help it. The bling will singe them. The bling will burn them to a crisp. But they have to have the bling. They fly toward the bling. It's species specific.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    i just wish they had the option to customize the menu entries
    sudo apt-get install alacarte

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    sudo apt-get install alacarte
    i'm on arch. and it wasn't compiling right from the AUR. I found this which works pretty well for anyone who is looking https://launchpad.net/menulibre
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Marzata View Post
    Xubuntu is the most elegant and aesthetic distro around.
    I have to disagree with you on that. I'm not a fan of Unity, and sometimes I even prefer the Xfce look (I guess all that time using my hacked Nintendo DS with ancient Linux gave me a liking for simple desktops), but I have to say when it comes to elegant and aesthetic, nothing can beat KDE. It's no longer as bloated and slow as it once was. In fact, I haven't had a single problem with it being slow on my laptop, and I can be running two instances of Windows XP in VirtualBox, Folding@home, Chromium with over 100 tabs, and several other apps open at once using 100% CPU and 90% RAM before KDE starts to get buggy and slow. And that's all without a dedicated GPU, just using my CPU's integrated graphics (which KDE takes advantage of the hardware acceleration excellently).

Xfce is very good, but I wouldn't definitely not consider it one of the more aesthetic DEs.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast