Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does Xubuntu need a bit more love? Chapter 2.

Beans

Re: Does Xubuntu need a bit more love? Chapter 2.

Quote Originally Posted by drawkcab View Post
    I said this in the other thread but Live Voyager is a very slick spin of xubuntu. I am using it on my primary machine. XFCE 4.8/4.10 is really easy to work with coming from a Gnome 2.x environment and easy on the resources.

I'm warming up to Gnome Shell which is improving as themes and extensions appear. It completely rocks on my htpc where preserving a traditional workflow is not much of an issue.

Has anyone worked seriously with Ubuntu + MATE?
    i started using xfce everyday lately and i find it's better than gnome 2 was. it has tiling left/right/top/bottom and the panels are more customizable, not to mention it's super fast. i just wish they had the option to customize the menu entries
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    ... i just wish they had the option to customize the menu entries
    Could you give details in another thread? The "problem" with Xfce is that there mostly are solutions but they're buried deep and then we need a veteran user to come along and provide the solution
    Of course, the documentation is pretty extensive but who has time for that when everything is supposed to be intuitive?
    (Intuitive is the overused word of the decade, IMO.)
    Shortened urls: See point #11 here. And clicking on them could be risky.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Could you give details in another thread? The "problem" with Xfce is that there mostly are solutions but they're buried deep and then we need a veteran user to come along and provide the solution
    Of course, the documentation is pretty extensive but who has time for that when everything is supposed to be intuitive?
    (Intuitive is the overused word of the decade, IMO.)
    meh i just deal with it by installing only what i need so there is nothing in the menu i don't use. just create a launcher or two on the panel for most frequented apps. too lazy to try and customize the menu. just wish i could remove the one or two apps that the launchers don't do anything that were installed as dependencies for apps i do use
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    just wish i could remove the one or two apps that the launchers don't do anything that were installed as dependencies for apps i do use
    That's not to hard to do from what I remember but I can't remember the exactly how part (think it involves editing the apps .desktop file or whatever it's called). I'll post back here later with a solution if someone else does not do so in the interim.

Beans

I personally prefer more esoteric environments to XFCE (awesome wm, at the moment), but for "normal" users it's become my go-to DE, especially since I'm usually setting up Linux on computers that can't handle fancier DE's.

Beans

Xubuntu is good. The default theme is indeed awful but that is easily changed. I think improvements could be made by:

1) Making the spacing on the start menu customizable-the default is too small

2) Making it possible to set and change themes graphically just like good old gnome 2

3) Using Nautilus as the default file manager-unless the latest iteration of Nautilus turns something that was good into unusable gibberish like Unity!

4) Solving the end transport not connected problem that plagues users with encrypted home folders.

5) Have a places menu exactly the same as gnome 2 would be nice

Gnome fallback, Mate and Xfce all have their good and bad points but all 3 are way better than gnome shell or Unity.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I think KDE needs more love from users. Nobody talks about it, but in my opinion, it's the most solid DE out there. Also, everyone has always talked about how heavy it is, but most of that was actually addressed in 4.8. I'd say it's at least as snappy as Gnome and Unity now, and definitely has more features.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!

Enjoyed this review of Xubuntu 12.04 as well as this look at XFCE 4.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I am not a huge fan of KDE, it's alright but that's about... however the Dolphin file manager and the Plasma Desktop Rock....

For a while I did have both of those rocking under Unity but..... these days I usually just go stock

Beans

I was also happy with ubuntu 10.04. When I used ubuntu 12.04 for the first time, I felt hard to use it. But after using for a while, I loved ubuntu 12.04. But in order to make power usage less, I have tried to use xubuntu but I felt very hard to use it because it is very easy to search application in ubuntu 12.04. I feel it is just a matter of one or two weeks. After that it will be easy to use ubuntu12.04.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast