Thread: [Unity] menu-bar and launcher defaults

Beans
    Hidden!

[Unity] menu-bar and launcher defaults

Am I the only one here that believes:

1) launcher should be hidden by default (somewhat akin to minimalist gnome-shell design);

2) menu bar on top panel is neat, although when an application is minimized, menu bar best should sit on top of its window;

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: [Unity] menu-bar and launcher defaults

I definitely disagree with your first point. You should always make something visible to start if it can be adjusted to not be visible. That way, people can easily see it and decide if they want it to stay there or for them to change it. If it is hidden by default, it might take some time before the user realizes it is there and that they want it always visible.

As for your second point, I don't really think either way is particularly better than the other. I don't mind what they did because it keeps the continuity among everything. This way you don't have to keep tabs of which programs are up top when minimized an which programs are part of the top window bar. I am a fan of continuity.

Beans

What should be default and what not to be default is purely part of perspective.

You can use myunity to make such changes for yourself.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by overcast View Post
    What should be default and what not to be default is purely part of perspective.
    Well then, I guess the perspective can be argued about using proper means -- goaliedude3919, for example, has done a great job at it.

Thanks for the application suggestion though -- it is to be kept in mind, although the subject which is most of interest here is the actual debate.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by goaliedude3919 View Post
    I definitely disagree with your first point. You should always make something visible to start if it can be adjusted to not be visible. That way, people can easily see it and decide if they want it to stay there or for them to change it. If it is hidden by default, it might take some time before the user realizes it is there and that they want it always visible.
    A workaround would always be for a tip to be displayed upon first login: "Hold the Super key to get started." (The key of course would be to get one to realize what is the "Super" key.)

Some people I know feel more at each doing it in such a way, with the launcher auto-hidden. A person I know, for example, used to take too much time releasing the mouse button on Firefox-icon click, that in that time the icon would have the time to move with the cursor, with the end result that the action to open Firefox was brought to a fail.

Holding the Super key and pressing one of the overlaid numeric keys solves the problem for most. Plus, one gets to have more screen space by default.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I find myself switching auto hide on and off depending on what I am doing . I use auto hide when working with Gimp on a regular basis because the little bit of extra helps on my 1280 x 1024 monitor.

Some new to Unity find it frustrating at first with the bar visible so I don't know if auto hide by default would be a good idea or not because of not having the perspective of a new user. I like the global menu and started using an unofficial version of back on 10.10 so this is my forth release with a global menu.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    I like the global menu and started using an unofficial version of back on 10.10 so this is my forth release with a global menu.
    Indeed -- goaliedude3919 has convinced through their post that the global bar is fine as it is.

Concerning the launcher, I agree that without the implementation of both a viable and unobstructive way teaching one to do without it, much frustration would be experienced from their part.