Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Beans

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

I really enjoy using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on a daily basis. I have tested other Gnome2 distros and I personally find this this version works best for me. I am dreading the EOL for this version next spring and was wondering if one has another option other than the obvious of upgrading to the latest & greatest Ubuntu version?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Yes, and it's upgrading to the latest and greatest. You can install the package gnome-panel (which is identical to GNOME 2) in 12.04, or use Xubuntu or Lubuntu, which resembles GNOME 2.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zombifier25 View Post
    Yes, and it's upgrading to the latest and greatest. You can install the package gnome-panel (which is identical to GNOME 2) in 12.04, or use Xubuntu or Lubuntu, which resembles GNOME 2.

Thanks for the suggestions. Trying gnome-panel in 12.04 sounds like a good place to start.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by buzzie1 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. Trying gnome-panel in 12.04 sounds like a good place to start.
    Some additional hints about doing that:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966370

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I know this is kind of blasphemy, but if you like Gnome2 so much, switch to CentOS or Scientific Linux. They are most likely supported until the year 2020 (depends on RedHat).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If you have 10 to 25GB available on your hard drive you can do a full install into that. If you want to experiment then you can install and test various alternates in that partition.

Even if you do not have room on a drive, you now can get a 16GB flash drive and do a full install to that. It is a bit slower both with USB port slower than SATA port and flash writes are slow. But with settings to minimize writes and decent amount of RAM a Flash install is very functional.

I have a full install in 8GB with 8GB for data on my 16GB flash drive. Seems slow in installing as that is a lot of writes, and loading the larger apps initially is a bit slow but then performance is surprising good.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I just went through the same question... decided to stick with 10.04 LTS...

my discussion thread about it...

Beans

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm glad I have options to use/simulate Gnome2 after 10.04 is no longer supported.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Gnome classic no effects is the closest to Lucid, except you lose the systems menu. It's placed in the applications menu(?) I think.

You might just experiment with different desktop environments. I tried several and ended up with Xfce. Plus I still get all the updates for Precise, and I do love Ubuntu.
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm a very conservative user but decided to give 'native' 12.04 a chance after buying a new desktop system last weekend (coming from 10.04). I not haven't encountered issues yet that make me say 'unity s.cks'.

So I would say, give it a chance by trying it out (live cd/usb, dual/triple/... boot, virtual machine); you can always switch to other options.

Edit:
    assuming your hardware is up-to-it
    Last edited by Wim Sturkenboom; September 4th, 2012 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Added edit
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast