Thread: Help forum or Chat, which to use?

Beans

Help forum or Chat, which to use?

What reason would one choose to use either a forum to post a question for help or use the Internet Relay Chat for help?

Thank you

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Help forum or Chat, which to use?

Thread moved to The Community Cafe.

Not a support request.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: Help forum or Chat, which to use?

Well,it depends on what the problem is.
    If I need to use the command line,I need to see what I need to copy rather than just being told to go here and do this.
    I have benefited from forums,but Ajax chat at Linux Internationals and also Skype have been very useful.
    So for me,a combination is best.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Depends how urgent the problem is, how in-depth the problem is, and what your preferences are. Typically, you'll want to put more in-depth questions on a forum, and quicker ones on IRC.

I frequently frequent social channels, but don't like support channels as I find them awkward and a little stiff at times. Whereas I don't mind helping out/asking questions on the forums at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by MG&TL View Post
    Depends how urgent the problem is, how in-depth the problem is, and what your preferences are. Typically, you'll want to put more in-depth questions on a forum, and quicker ones on IRC.
    Pretty much this. If it's more involved than "What's the commant to get a list of all installed packages?" (possible answer: dpkg -l), it's probably better to use the forums. It depends a lot on how crowded the support channel is, though. If there are dozens of people talking all at once, it's difficult to keep a lengthy conversation, but in more quiet channels it's not as much of a problem.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't even know if that's it... even with some complicated issues, I've sometimes gotten a lot better responses from the IRC...

It depends a lot on time of day and who's in and whatnot.... I mean if someone who knows about said issue is in the IRC that day rather than the forums... you'll likely be better off there...

So my advice is use what is more comfortable, but if you really need help... why not try both

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Primefalcon View Post
    but if you really need help... why not try both
    ...but remember to post about how you overcame your problem and mark your thread 'solved' if you found a solution on IRC first.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by MG&TL View Post
    ...but remember to post about how you overcame your problem and mark your thread 'solved' if you found a solution on IRC first.
    Very true point!! I don't know how many times I've searched to find an issue to a problem... to be helped by an old post like that......