Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Choppy font problem.

Beans

Question Choppy font problem.

I recently upgraded from Ubuntu 10.04 to Kubuntu 12.04 and noticed that fonts have strange lines in them. Attached is a screenshot of an article title. The lines are scattered like that throughout text. Any idea what is causing it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: Choppy font problem.

Here's another example of the problem attached below. The fc-cache command did not solve the problem. I've tried changing the fonts and altering the anti-aliasing settings but nothing has worked so far.

Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I would do a clean install of Kubuntu 12.04.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    I would do a clean install of Kubuntu 12.04.
    I have considered doing that, but do you have any reason in particular? It will take me hours to back everything up and reinstall and I don't want to do so needlessly, especially if I have the same problem as soon as I log in again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The default font rendering on KDE is only passable at best, and so while you are experiencing this strange font-settings conflict it might be timely for you to consider this,
    IMO better font rendering than default.

A link to the thread, with screenshots and user comments here

HTH

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bra|10n View Post
    The default font rendering on KDE is only passable at best, and so while you are experiencing this strange font-settings conflict it might be timely for you to consider this,
    IMO better font rendering than default.

A link to the thread, with screenshots and user comments here

HTH
    Thanks, I'll definately look through this thread tomorrow when I can sit and concentrate on it. I'm not really familiar with all the terminology and such.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Your welcome.
    Ensure you download the latest patches (from infinality.net)
    Familiarise yourself with the contained files after extracting the downloads. For anything else you'll find the thread explains most of the setup for it.

Good luck
    Last edited by bra|10n; September 5th, 2012 at 08:59 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Cornova View Post
    I have considered doing [a clean install], but do you have any reason in particular? It will take me hours to back everything up and reinstall and I don't want to do so needlessly, especially if I have the same problem as soon as I log in again.
    Well you have changed both the Ubuntu version and the desktop environment at the same time. I can imagine lots of possibilities where things are hanging around from before that might create problems. I have Kubuntu 12.04 running on a couple of different machines with very different video adapters, and the fonts look crisp and clear on all of them.

I do install the Microsoft fonts using the ttf-mscorefonts-installer because so many websites use fonts like Arial or Tahoma. I don't know if that will help you.

If you decide to reinstall, I strongly recommend that you use the manual partitioning tool during installation to create a separate partition for /home. The OS itself can easily fit in a 20GB partition with plenty of room to spare. Then you can create a separate partition from the remainder of the disk and mount it as /home. If you need to reinstall in the future all your personal files will be left intact.

As for whether you would have the same problem again, boot the Kubuntu 12.04 CD and choose the Try Ubuntu option. See if it works better than what you have now.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; September 5th, 2012 at 04:07 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bra|10n View Post
    Your welcome.
    Ensure you download the latest patches (from infinality.net)
    Familiarise yourself with the contained files after extracting the downloads. For anything else you'll find the thread explains most of the setup for it.

Good luck
    Thanks, I was able to get through the instructions and the font appearance did change, but the problem still persists.

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Well you have changed both the Ubuntu version and the desktop environment at the same time. I can imagine lots of possibilities where things are hanging around from before that might create problems. I have Kubuntu 12.04 running on a couple of different machines with very different video adapters, and the fonts look crisp and clear on all of them.

I do install the Microsoft fonts using the ttf-mscorefonts-installer because so many websites use fonts like Arial or Tahoma. I don't know if that will help you.

If you decide to reinstall, I strongly recommend that you use the manual partitioning tool during installation to create a separate partition for /home. The OS itself can easily fit in a 20GB partition with plenty of room to spare. Then you can create a separate partition from the remainder of the disk and mount it as /home. If you need to reinstall in the future all your personal files will be left intact.

As for whether you would have the same problem again, boot the Kubuntu 12.04 CD and choose the Try Ubuntu option. See if it works better than what you have now.
    I should have clarified that the OS is on it's own hard disk, I cleared it with killdisk before I installed it. By upgrade I just meant I switched to Kubuntu not used an upgrade feature in the old version I was using, my bad.

I may have to switch to another distro if I don't solve this soon.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I read that my earlier suggestion failed to remedy your font issue and the problem is no longer confined to your font rendering. It seems very likely you are one of the few who are affected by a bug in VSync. The kwin developers have said this issue will be fixed with the 4.9.1 release, however I am running 4.9.1-2 (Chakra) now and I am still experiencing different issues with VSync. I can only suggest you bide your time and wait for a fix.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast