Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the relationship between Ubuntu and Debian?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What is the relationship between Ubuntu and Debian?

I'm posting this in regards to my experience in the Debian forums.
    Users there seem to be quite hateful to Ubuntu users.
    I'd just like to explore 'the rock upon which Ubuntu is built'.

Yet, Debian users dont seem very kind to Ubuntu users.

Anyone else experience this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: What is the relationship between Ubuntu and Debian?

Quote Originally Posted by hank22077 View Post
    Yet, Debian users dont seem very kind to Ubuntu users.
    Doesn't matter. Debian is worth installing and using, in my opinion. There's so much info out there that if you read the documentation and do good web searches, you'll rarely need to go to the Debian User Forums for help, if ever.

If you can take some of the comments there with a grain of salt and not let it bother you, there's a wealth of information at the Debian User Forums.

There are people over there who are willing to help, but they do expect you to search for solutions and answers on your own, which is a good idea in any case.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

From what I have managed to gather over about a year as a Linux user who installed Debian (Stable) effortlessly and really enjoyed it but had hardware issues and stuff, I think it boils down to jealousy of a sort.

Now before anyone jumps down my throat, let me explain: Debian is awesome, powerful, has vast repositories and plenty of great support. But it isn't (or wasn't, a year ago) "newbie friendly" or especially well suited to beginners. Ubuntu is built from Debian, but has managed to make Debian much more "beginner friendly." As a result, Ubuntu's popularity quickly soared and it shot up the popularity charts to #1 and has kept that top spot for years.

Ubuntu is awesome because it is Debian -"made easy." Ubuntu's success in that department has made some long-time loyal Debian fans feel as though "their" OS was hijacked and that Ubuntu "gets credit for Debian's work." Understandable. Debian's "purist" philosophy has kept it from achieving Ubuntu's ease and "novice friendliness." Debian surely could have done what Ubuntu has, but bound by the "Debian philosophy," it just couldn't twist Debian into "a commercialized product."

From The Debian Manifesto:

The Free Software Foundation plays an extremely important role in the future of Debian. By the simple fact that they will be distributing it, a message is sent to the world that Linux is not a commercial product and that it never should be, but that this does not mean that Linux will never be able to compete commercially.
    While it's great that Debian's awesomeness has been "brought down to my level" by Ubuntu and it's derivatives, it's easy to understand some of the Debian community's resentment.

I'm not quite a year into Linux, but that's the big picture I get from what I have read and learned here and in the Debian Forums.

Beans

They're a cranky bunch over there but, to be fair, how did you expect to be received when your first post was a criticism of the community?

malspa is correct. You can get help, but the folks there will expect you to have done your homework first. Getting wireless to work is Debian 101 and well documented in the Debian Wiki.

The relationship between Debian and Ubuntu is interdependent and complex. I won't go into the details, but a web search should provide hours of interesting reading.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

In your first message in that forum you mention a problem with your router but don't give any information about the router or the errors you received, instead you complain about rude answers given to other users previously.

It's understandable that some people though that you just wanted to provoke emotional responses, and others simply ignored you because there was no enough information to help you with your problem.

The rude answer that you link can be better understood if you take in account that the traditional etiquette in Linux forums requires proving that one has done an effort to investigate before asking: http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

That fact that Ubuntuforums doesn't enforce this "old law" doesn't help to the image about Ubuntu users in other Linux forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks for feedback

Beans

I've used both and the only major differences I've noticed is that debian uses older software and doesn't come with as much by default. Also debian is a little more difficult to setup your wifi/video if doesn't work out of the box. Other than that they are basicallly the same. I personally prefer using ubuntu because of the newer software versions as well as more active forums and of course ppas for crucial software.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Yeah, I think both are great. I've kept both running here for about the past six years, mainly Debian Stable and Ubuntu LTS. Ubuntu, you do get newer packages, but I don't know if there's anything out there more solid than Debian.

As for "the relationship between Ubuntu and Debian," someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think Ubuntu is based on Debian Unstable, or gets their packages from there. I guess you could say that Ubuntu is a fork of Debian, right?

And the two projects' philosophies differ -- for example, Debian releases "when it's ready," while Ubuntu release on schedule.

I actually like both approaches, and I enjoy being able to run both of them on the same computer(s), taking advantage of the best of both worlds.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by malspa View Post

As for "the relationship between Ubuntu and Debian," someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think Ubuntu is based on Debian Unstable, or gets their packages from there.
    The LTS releases are built from Debian Testing, according to this page from the Ubuntu wiki. The other regular releases are built from Debian Unstable.

Beans
    Distro

i've had the same experience when i started using Debian. The forums there seemed quite rude. But, as i found out, it has more to do with Ubuntu forums cuddling us I know that when i was using Ubuntu, whenever i had a problem, i just posted the problem here. And then even if the problem was previously solved, someone kindly pointed out the solution. Lazy me. Debian forums (but not the one you linked the pics from) are very kind if you show you tried to fix it and failed. Then someone will gladly help you. And they're a nice lot over there at http://www.debianuserforums.org/ . It also has a 'community cafe' like subforum, so it's really cool and welcoming. You get less answers, but really quality ones, and if your level of expertise is disastrous like mine is, they also take your hand and lead you, if necessary. No puberty geek wannabes there, just plain old good folk.
    "Sometimes you just have to pee in the sink." - Charles Bukowski

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast