Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recursive restore certain files in Deja Dup

Beans

Re: Recursive restore certain files in Deja Dup

Edit: disregard this post, read below post

So I tarred my home directory with the command in my post above:
    Code:
    tar cvpf /media/FreeAgent\ GoFlex\ Drive/backup/current.tar /home/duncan/
    When it finished (2 hours later!) I opened the tar with Archive Manager. It seemed OK. I tried to rename a file in the tar and it came up with "Adding files to Archive" for a long time. Eventually I clicked cancel and it wouldn't cancel. In the end I had to killall file-roller (which is archive manager) and killall tar to be able to eject the drive.

I mounted the tar, out of curiosity, with Archive Mounter (appears on right-click menu).

The attached image compares the tar (right), and my real home directory (left). The tar has a few thousand more files in it. Why? I'm not sure whether this was caused by Archive Manager's behaviour or not.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by duncan12; September 2nd, 2012 at 06:48 AM.

Beans

Re: Recursive restore certain files in Deja Dup

OK don't worry about the above question. I've put off reinstalling to next weekend, and I will simply copy my files onto the drive. No TARs to worry about.

But I'll only do that once I've got my missing files back, and since no answer for how to do this came from Ubuntu Forums I've put a question on launchpad here.

What I've learnt (apart from keeping backups - if I didn't all my photos would be gone):

Stick this at the end of ~/.bashrc
    Code:
    #safe rm mode
    alias rm='rm -i'
    It'll prompt you before each file rm deletes.

Marking this thread as solved since I'll pursue this issue on Launchpad instead.
    Last edited by duncan12; September 2nd, 2012 at 06:55 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12