Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12.04 gray windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

12.04 gray windows

Its not going that well. After being all excited at finding a way around the black screen error on my Acer laptop, I'm finding 12.04 very buggy and seemingly unstable.

I first had to use a workaround to eliminate the "system has encountered a problem" dialogue that has plagued me from the beginning, which tried to send an error report that wouldn't send, that said....

My apps crash all the time meaning, they go grey and become unresponsive for a short to long period of time. Worst case, (DVD Styler) the app just closes right in the middle of trying to use it.

Since I normally am browsing, the browser (firefox) does this all the time and also update manager almost never opens without graying out and hanging while the window is gray you get the picture.

In addition the whole system slows down after awhile something I never thought I'd say about ubuntu on my laptop.

I think all these are related and over all it just is not the same super fast stable OS I've been used to, not by a long shot.
    FattyZ

Ubuntu classic desktop, Compiz Fusion and Emerald, what else is there?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: 12.04 gray windows

Thread moved to Testimonials & Experiences.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Screen grey and dim after suspend

I get grey screen randomly all the time. (Update manager, firefox, dvd styler, SUCH an epic FAIL) AND, since I don't know what to do or where to post this my 12.04 experience is AWFUL. The grey screen error is part of the whole very SLOW, very bugged out mess and I am getting really really frustrated. I've been hanging around here a long time. I do all my updates and things are very marginal.

I hope u get a fix. Sorry to unload in your thread, my last 'grey screen' thread got moved and i have not been able to find it.

acer aspire 5334
    FattyZ

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Screen grey and dim after suspend

Moved post from other thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2013368) here to original. I'm going to move this to a support area because I believe the poster is requesting assistance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Obviously a video card/driver issue. Can you post the output of:
    Code:
    lspci
    Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Here is the output thanks. I am thinking about re-format since the windows partition got trashed somehow, I can boot into it but it keeps freezing and so on. I have no win disks and have to let the factory restore do it and that'll wipe the drive.

Then I guess I could go back to Ubuntu 10.04. I was even thinking of running it off a usb but i'm afraid it'll be slow. The best thing for me about Ubuntu was always the speed. It's all about the speed. : )

mark@mark-laptop:~$ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub (rev 09)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
    00:1a.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
    00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 03)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
    00:1d.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
    00:1d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
    00:1d.3 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 (rev 03)
    00:1d.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 93)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation ICH9M LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801IBM/IEM (ICH9M/ICH9M-E) 4 port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 03)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
    04:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
    05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR8132 Fast Ethernet (rev c0)
    mark@mark-laptop:~$
    FattyZ

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Give a try to 10.04 would not be a bad idea indeed, please report back, as you have a laptop that may be not enough for 12.04.

As per the output above, since video card is just Intel integrated one, no much tweaks can be done... The only driver available is the open source one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yes I think u r right. I found an old boot USB with 10.04 on it and I am running off that right now. More than the laptop not having enough juice I think its a question of incompatibility.

So I guess I'll let the factory restore format the drive and re-install windows so I can have that working then I'll either keep running off the USB or make a partition for 10.04.

Thanks all, Its a drag I can't run that new distro but I think I can live with 10.04.
    FattyZ

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by fattyz View Post

Thanks all, Its a drag I can't run that new distro but I think I can live with 10.04.
    If you want updated software and other stuff (regrettably, it would appear, not the new desktop), you could try Lubuntu or Xubuntu 12.04, both of which need about the same as 10.04, probably less.

Beans

I have similar problems with 12.04

The windows are freezing frequently and become grey for this time. Mouse, keyboard and other windows are working fine.

I'm using a Thinkpad Edge with 8gb Ram and Intel Core i3 processor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast