Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How To: Make Firefox / Thunderbird print to kprinter automatically in KDE / Kubuntu

Beans

Re: How To: Make Firefox / Thunderbird print to kprinter automatically in KDE / Kubun

A minor annoyance is, that you cannot print a selection. Anyone got a solution for that?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: How To: Make Firefox / Thunderbird print to kprinter automatically in KDE / Kubun

Quote Originally Posted by msak007 View Post
    Thanks for letting me know it helped you. I was starting to wonder if I was the only person who found this useful.
    Thanks so much - I have no idea why they don't use these as defaults - makes more sense.

Beans

Many thanks to msak007 for the great tips!

Does anyone else have the problem that the generated PDF-files
    are not searchable, neither in Acrobat Reader, nor kpdf, nor ...
    pdf2text also does not work.

Does anyone know if this is a Firefox-problem or a kprinter-problem
    and if there's a fix for it?

Konqueror and the old Netscape on the other hand produce searchable
    PDF-files thru kprinter.

Many thanks,
    MM

Beans

Hi,

I'm using Kubuntu Hardy with KDE 4.1 and FF 3.0.1 (from the Ubuntu reps), and installed kdeprint (kprinter) manually (this works). Could someone verify if the proposed method works also for a similar setup? Because in my case I can't get it to work: Strangely, the postscript/default printer doesn't even exist. No change in the prefs file seems to affect the print menu that shows only the "Print To File" and "PDF" options.

Beans

@pinx, did you figure out how to do this? I am also using Kubuntu Hardy, KDE 3.5 and Firefox 3 and also have no postscript print option (except via 'Print to File', which results in different options in the about:config menu). In addition to 'Print to File' and 'PDF' I also have 'kop' which is my default printer and doesn't work.

Beans

In Firefox 3, you cannot access the KDE kprinter dialog.

However, you can apply a simple change in "about:config" that will make the "print to file" choice in the print dialog window default to pdf (rather than postcrpit) and will also set up a default directory and the file name of your choice.

For instructions, go to http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...?f=8&t=1010695 and scroll to the last post in this thread.

http://tamulug.tamu.edu/wiki/firefox_print_kerberos

this will still let your other programs print without double dialogs

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234