Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How To: Make Firefox / Thunderbird print to kprinter automatically in KDE / Kubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: How To: Make Firefox / Thunderbird print to kprinter automatically in KDE / Kubun

Hey guys, sorry I haven't replied to your posts I haven't had much time lately. I've switched to KMail since I wrote this thread so haven't had a chance to test anything, but I'll give it a shot on my laptop later and post the results.

karls0 - Try the following and let me know if it helps you:

Code:
    print.print_command    lpr ${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME:+'-P'}${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME}
    Replace with
    Code:
     print.print_command    kprinter
    It also looks like you're using an HP LaserJet 1200 - CUPS can get in the way if you want kprinter to be your default so add a boolean in about:config with the following value:

Code:
    print.postscript.cups.enabled
    and set its value to "False" to disable CUPS. You'll still be able to use your LJ1200 once kprinter pops up and you can choose it from there.

Code:
    print.printer_PostScript/default.print_command        kprinter
    This is fine, this is what will actually get kprinter to come up once you disable CUPS printing. It will force the default printer to be the PostScript/default printer, and since you've changed its output command to kprinter it should pop up. Please try the suggestions and let me know.

KPingus - Please try what I suggested above for Thunderbird and let me know if it helps you.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Re: How To: Make Firefox / Thunderbird print to kprinter automatically in KDE / Kubun

Hi msak007,
    thank You for your hints. I tried to set all parameters as You said.But it didn´t work - when I looked into the configuration after printing a page from the standard print-dialogue I noticed that
    print.printer_PostScript/default.print_command had changed back to the original setting. I tried twice to change it, but it always came back to the original.
    Then I searched through the parameters and found two more places with the "lpr...." print-command. I changed them to "kprinter". Now I get the standard print-dialogue and after clicking on "Print" the kprinter dialogue opens.

Setting print.always_print_silent to true suppresses both print-dialogues (what I dont want).

Please, could You give one more tip to reduce the count of print-dialogues ??
    tia
    Karl

Beans

This works for me, when I go to File/Print it goes straight to the Kprinter after showing the progress bar. But custom functionality in the kprinter dialog, like HTML Settings when printing from Konqueror, aren't there. This limits functionality since features like Firefox's "Print Selection" are also no longer available. There's still need for better integration of Firefox in KDE IMO, but interesting how-to, anyhow.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Yes, I found the same problem. I just changed the print.always_print_silent back to false, so I can print by selection. It works, but it is a bit clumsy.

On that note, can anybody think of a more effective way to do this?

Beans

Thanks for describing what each step does. This solved my problem. Thanks!

Beans

Talking Re: How To: Make Firefox / Thunderbird print to kprinter automatically in KDE / Kubun

Thank you for this tip! I just tried it on my new installation of Feisty on a G4 Powerbook, and it works fine. I really appreciate you taking the time to put this information on the forums. Thanks again! You rock!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by msak007 View Post
    swimmerken: I don't use Thunderbird anymore, but when I did the instructions I provided worked for it just as well as Firefox. I also never had any problems with extensions and personally used the about:config extension without any issues. I apologize if my instructions screwed up your installation, I would not have recommended the extension if I did not personally use it without any adverse effect. As far as NVU, I've never used that application so I can't help much there. I could not find anything on disabling xprint aside from disabling it at compile time, and I'm not sure if the version in the repos had it disabled. I also could not find anything on getting NVU to use anything but xprint, except random blurbs on the update logs about how the Linspire version calls kprinter. Sorry I couldn't be of much help.

xtalman: Thanks for letting me know. It's odd that the print.always boolean was doing that, and disabling it shows kprinter. The whole purpose of adding that flag was so that it would suppress Firefox's own print dialog, and as a result go straight to kprinter. Can you post the output of the 3 lines I asked for several posts earlier?
    I had the same problem -- by adding the print.always key to the about:config was broken. I double & triple checked the settings.... but whatever reason when I printed, the dialog came up, processed & printed 100% and Kprinter never showed up.

For grins, I set it to false.. and tried. The firefox print dialog came up, I clicked print.. and then Kprinter showed up. I changed the print.always back to true....... and guess what? It worked as advertised. So fiddling with it was required.........

Thanks for the great guide! Great comments folks!

BTW: I am a Feisty User!

Beans

mask007: I just applied your "global" fix for Firefox, and it just works. Thank you.

Is there a way to do it for Thunderbird globally on the system?

I am running Kubuntu 7.10

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by vange View Post
    mask007: I just applied your "global" fix for Firefox, and it just works. Thank you.

Is there a way to do it for Thunderbird globally on the system?

I am running Kubuntu 7.10
    Thanks, you're the first person that confirmed for me that the global fix worked. I already knew it worked on my machine, but nobody else let me know if it worked for them. As far as Thunderbird goes, I'll install it this weekend when I get some free time and try to figure out how to make it work the same way, and I'll clean up the first post a little to put the global fix as well as any updated instructions in there.

Beans
    Hidden!

Smile Re: How To: Make Firefox / Thunderbird print to kprinter automatically in KDE / Kubun

Works like a charm - thanks!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast