Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ways to convince a library to use GNU/Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Ways to convince a library to use GNU/Linux?

Does anyone have any good ideas (Both ethical and practical) to convince a library to (At least) let users choose which operating system they can use?
    FreedomFTW!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ways to convince a library to use GNU/Linux?

Im sure it would be much harder than just asking any ol' library, to sit down and listen to what you have to say. Start at the Main Branch if you are serious

Of course the first thing they will likely say, is bring your own computer, and run whatever you like.

Beans

What would their incentive to change be?
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

What do you need to do on a library computer that you can't do with Windows?
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Certainly though, being a public place, it would be nice to see use of open-sourced means. Can't hurt to ask, if you can manage an audience.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jakin View Post
    Certainly though, being a public place, it would be nice to see use of open-sourced means. Can't hurt to ask, if you can manage an audience.
    It is not a simple process.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

if its just dumb systems accessing the Internet might not be too hard to change.... but to change the core infrastructure over.... well.... the techs might not know linux, they'd certainly have to re-train the staff...... and of course the down time....

I can't really see you having much luck, sorry

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Offer to pay the municipality or county for the cost of infrastructure, integration with the city or county systems, training of administrators...
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    training of administrators...
    or charge them and support it.

Beans

At my library, the PCs run special software to limit users to 2 hours per day which is tied to your library card. This is 2 hours which can be split up, so you can get a 30 minute reservation, use it for 25 minutes and quit. Then sign back into another computer later, do an hour, etc. In between users, the computer "forgets" everything you've done as far as browser history and any files saved on the computer.

The computers are also integrated with their printing system, where the print jobs are saved on some server. Then you go to the printer station and provide your library card number to release your print job (and pay the per-page fee).

Even if the same functionality was developed for Linux, I don't think they would want to run it as long as the "customers" want Windows. Many people use the library for job searches and use MS Word for their resume. I'm aware it's possible to use other software, but the people without PCs are probably less computer-savvy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast