Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: GNOME-flavoured Ubuntu Spin Coming

Beans

Re: GNOME-flavoured Ubuntu Spin Coming

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    You're taking for granted the fact that these packages would be in the repo, and as well supported, if there weren't the respins. These respin projects often act as a rally point for people interested in packaging and polishing the software for Ubuntu.
    also they all probably wouldn't all fit on a single disc and what if you didn't have internet? also what if i don't like unity or kde? would i be forced to install kubuntu or ubuntu just to install gnome-shell and have a bunch of kde crap i might not want on my system? Personally i prefer the spins.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: GNOME-flavoured Ubuntu Spin Coming

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    I have been trying a Gnome spin for an associate.it's Gnome spin Fedora 17, frankly it is terrible, I doubt that a Gnome spin Ubuntu will be any improvement.
    This is what I suspect the outcome of this experiment will be...Could be wrong,time will tell as they say.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    also they all probably wouldn't all fit on a single disc and what if you didn't have internet? also what if i don't like unity or kde? would i be forced to install kubuntu or ubuntu just to install gnome-shell and have a bunch of kde crap i might not want on my system? Personally i prefer the spins.
    it'd only install what desktop you choose.... why would it install kde if you choose xfce?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Jakin View Post
    I admit it, i waste optical media all the time The idea is that i can give to someone to keep and tryout. I also often get the dvd iso, for the other languages included.
    That's a worthy use of a blank DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by vexorian View Post
    The whole point of this is freedom and having multiple options.

I for one would rather have options than success. Success is such a foul objective for open source anyway. We do not need another successful OS that only brings one choice, we already have OS/X and windows for that.
    If you change the word success to "mainstream use", I think you have a good point. We don't need Linux to be turned into another commercial OS that is controlled by people who care more about their agenda than what people actually want. That's why Windows 8 is so atrocious for the desktop.

Fragmentation ; The act or process of breaking into fragments.

Of course its a myth. It's a myth that there is 100's of Linux Distributions. Its a myth that there is multiple packaging systems. Its a myth that there is multiple file systems.

Why don't Enterprises flock to Linux? Simple which one would they choose? should they spend ten years testing them all when they can go to their suppliers and get Windows or OSX.

Why don't Game suppliers flock to Linux? Simple which one would they choose? or should they spend huge sums developing for them all to have each trade at a loss.

Why don't consumers flock to Linux? Simple which one would they choose? Windows or OSX is in the High Street Appliance store.

But of course the +/-1% after twenty years is a myth, fragmentation is a myth, success is therefore a myth.
    You're an admin of a Linux forum, yet you never have anything positive to say about Linux.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I did intend to mean success in the sense of "mainstream use".

You're an admin of a Linux forum, yet you never have anything positive to say about Linux.
    I wouldn't dig on that topic.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Primefalcon View Post
    it'd only install what desktop you choose.... why would it install kde if you choose xfce?
    As of right now there is no gnome-shell spin in 12.04. If i wanted gnome shell i would have to install one of the other buntus and apt-get install gnome-shell. If you wanted to have the option on the installer you would either have to make sure everyone has internet access out of the box or include it on the cd. It's best to have it on the cd if possible. The DE probably takes up the vast majority of the space on any installer cd. You get what i'm saying? Sure we could provide a dvd with all of it but i don't know about you but i would rather download a 700mb iso than a 4gb iso especially on my 3mb connection.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    That's a worthy use of a blank DVD.

If you change the word success to "mainstream use", I think you have a good point. We don't need Linux to be turned into another commercial OS that is controlled by people who care more about their agenda than what people actually want. That's why Windows 8 is so atrocious for the desktop.

I am extremely passionate about Linux and in particular Ubuntu, do really think I would have given 8 years of my life to these Forums and been a user and supplier of Linux products since the 90's.

What I don't believe in is the elitist garbage that prevails the Linux community, I actually want see Linux develop and be available all and to be a commercial success.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I am extremely passionate about Linux and in particular Ubuntu, do really think I would have given 8 years of my life to these Forums and been a user and supplier of Linux products since the 90's.

What I don't believe in is the elitist garbage that prevails the Linux community, I actually want see Linux develop and be available all and to be a commercial success.
    It's good to hear you say this to reassure us that you still care.

I don't like the elitist garbage, either. But it actually seems to be much less here than with other distros.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I didn't want to start a new thread and seeing we have been talking about GNOME here, I thought I would post about
    Linus Torvalds comment: “GNOME Are In Total Denial”
    The comment was based on this: GNOME Founder Says Desktop Linux is Dead
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

That article is really not about GS. but rather about Icaza's BS comments lately.

In fact, Linux pretty much did what I envisioned back in 1991 when I first released it. Pretty much all subsequent development was driven by outside ideas of what other people needed or wanted to do. Not by some internal vision of where things “should” go.

That’s exactly the reverse of the gnome “we know better” mentality, and “We will force Corba/.NET down your throat whether you like it or not, and if you complain, you’re against progress, and cannot handle the change”.

Some gnome people seem to be in total denial about what their problem really is. They’ll wildly blame everybody except themselves.
    This is like my most favorite Linus' rant ever.

I am going to go buy I <3 Linus Torvalds t-shirts somewhere.
    Last edited by vexorian; September 3rd, 2012 at 09:27 PM.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast