Thread: Toshiba Portege Z930

Beans

Toshiba Portege Z930

Has anyone tried Ubuntu on the Toshiba Portege Z930?

So far I found only this page reporting success on all accounts using Arch Linux : http://www.linlap.com/wiki/toshiba+portege+z930

But I must say that's far from own experience so far. Regular Ubuntu has a lot of issues from which a few were fixed by updating to 3.5 kernel. Sleep also doesn't seem to work, results in kernel panic.

Beans

Arrow Re: Toshiba Portege Z930

I have some experience with this laptop under Ubuntu 12.04. Configuration: i5 cpu/6gb ram/128gb ssd. Operating system runs very fast and responsive. Video/sound/wifi works out-of-the-box. Haven`t try bluetooth yet. Going to try mpeg4 video files in a day or two.About a week in use, two random freezes. Multi-touch gestures zoom in/out are not working (it`s a pity). Fingerprint reader too. Never the less, I have to conclude that Ubuntu team do their job in improving this distribution quite good.

So that`s my experience with this laptop under Ubuntu OS.
    Last edited by spacedrone808; September 7th, 2012 at 01:17 PM. Reason: added some new information

Beans

Re: Toshiba Portege Z930

Hi,

I installed Ubuntu 12.04 on this laptop 2 days ago.

I first used a 32-bit version that I had at my fingertips and effectively it freezes a lot, maybe after 5-10 minutes running, and I experienced kernel panic issues when the screensaver was activated.

Then I tried with a 64-bit version and since then I haven't had any problem. It works like a charm.

Beans

Hi,

I just installed Ubuntu 12.04 x64 together with Win7. As the previous answer, I'm having no problems at all. Seems to be quite robust. Much faster boot than WIn7 btw

Beans

I have the Satellite Z930 - sorry if it's totally different and therefore off-topic - but cannot get the Ubuntu installer to give me an option to install alongside the pre-loaded Windows 7 installation. Did anybody else have this problem?

Beans

...It turns out I had 4 primary partitions. Deleting one of the useless Windows 7 recovery partitions gave me the ability to install Ubuntu successfully.

Beans

Hello,

Are you all talking about Z930-10T or other version ?

Thank you

Beans

Talking Re: Toshiba Portege Z930

Hello Guys!

For people who already installed ubuntu on a portégé Z930, would you like to make an exhaustive list of what is working (or not) ?

I think it is always best to list what is working, because if you only list what is not working, it may appear that other function work or maybe has not been tested...

You may see a list of items here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookAir4-2

Would be soooo nice to have same kind of status on this Z930

I am specially interested in status after suspend resume as I heard about some backlight issue ( screen or keyboard) and also touchpad disabling while typing or multitouch

(I know, I ask a lot!)