Thread: Unity top bar hiding windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Unity top bar hiding windows

I'm using 12.04, and in Gimp, Scribus and a few other programs, the unity top bar hides the controls for tool windows, meaning that the windows a) cannot be closed b) cannot be moved.

If there a simple solution to this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Unity top bar hiding windows

I've seen this with other programs a few times.

The simplest way I know to overcome it is to hit the Desktop Switcher and then move the windows.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Unity top bar hiding windows

Try holding down the alt key. Now left click and hold the mouse button down anywhere on the problem window. Now you can move the window down to clear the window buttons from under the top bar. This is a useful trick for whenever a window spills off either the top or bottom of the screen, making controls inaccessible.

I've noticed what you describe with the repository version of Gimp, with the tools window (is it called?) opening too high up and I've had to use that trick. Since then I've installed the PPA version of Gimp 2.8 which opens all in one window and which solves that particular problem - as well as giving me the latest version of Gimp.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.