Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VNC Login

Beans

Post VNC Login

Hi all, im using 12.04 Server, I have installed the vnc4server and am also using webmin and have SSH enabled so I have more than one way in.

The problem, when I issue the command - vncserver -geometry 1024x768 to start a VNC session from webmin or from sudo/su either from the server itself or from SSH Console and i try to login to the VNC session I just get a blank screen. Ive gone through a few posts and modify the .vnc/xstartup but this doesnt change my issue.

The issue really is this, if i issue the command directly on the server, without sudo/su and then login via the VNC client (either Remmina or SSL/SSH VNC Viewer) it works without issue. It is only when the command is issued from 'root' that problems occur.

So I figure (thought am not certain) this is most likely a permissions issue of some description, ie, service is started by 'root' but am trying to utilise it, ie, login with a non 'root' account.

The scenario I would ideally like to get to get working, is to be able to issue the command from the comman shell within Webmin, but of course whenever I do this, the system thinks it is 'root' and will just provide a blank screen when attempting to login via VNC.

Alternatively I could of course start a session automatically for the user in question at startup, however I would not know where to start...

Any guidance and advice is most appreciated...

mrbrooks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: VNC Login

Why do you want to use VNC? IF you need access to the GUI remotely, check out FreeNX, or you could just forward X over SSH.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Hi Charles, thanks for the reply, re using VNC, that was just was suggested to me by other people, the server in question is being used by someone who doesnt really know a great deal about how to admin stuff (im no expert myself either) which is why I added webmin as they need some sort of GUI for the admin stuff like adding users etc...

They are using it mainly as a file server with Samba running, to share files amongst 5 windows PCs, this all works great and they are pretty happy with it and I glad cos they were on a windows box and didnt really want to pay for a new version of windows server or update the hardware just yet, hence the move to Linux.

So re the GUI elements, i read a how to about putting on a gnome-core install, that doesnt start with the server boot, only appears on remote session, the how to used vnc4server and TightVNC for windows. They wanted a basic GUI so they could jump in there now n then to take a look at thing in a more familiar way I suppose. I am very much open to alternatives if the community members have got more thoughts on the matter and am willing to try new things out.

At the moment they are setting a vnc sessions via putty and then using the VNC client to login to the sessions. I just wanted to make the experience as smooth as possible for them and dont want them think its all too much trouble and just jump back to windows for the convenience factor without giving the Linux world a real go.

Crazy as it sounds, they want to play music through the box, which is one of the reasons it needed a core gui, because the server is in the same room as an old windows box they were using to play the music and dont want to be logging into different machines.

I hope that all makes sense haha...

Thanks again for the input, i appreciate any offerings from the community.

mrbrooks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Are they only using the GUI to play music? If they have webmin installed, there shouldn't be any reason to have to do the same thing via the GUI.

Beans

Hi Charles, how do they play music through webmin?

Thanks

mrbrooks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I don't think you can, but you might want to look at Subsonic:
    http://www.subsonic.org/pages/index.jsp

Beans

Hi Charles, thanks for the reply, I just looked at subsonic and the Ubuntu software centre on my box said this package is of bad quality, etc etc, breaks the rules...Is this package safe to install?

I may be showing my ignorance here but also, how will this help the folks in the office to play their music from the server box (the music folder is on the fileserver as a shared folder so they wish to play it direct from there, with a speaker set attatched to the server)...

Thanks again

mrbrooks

-- EDIT

What would be ideal is if there was some music player that has a web interface, that will play music on the server box, if this is indeed possible...
    Last edited by mrbrooks; August 30th, 2012 at 11:14 PM.

Beans

Why does everyone on this forum suggest things that aren't part of the default Ubuntu install? To me it sounds like, after installing VNC on his Ubuntu system, he just failed to configure the VNC port service for the user he is connecting as. He doesn't need some other software to do it, just configure default Ubuntu as expected:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=122402
    ------
    Windows7x64 :: ASUS P5K-E :: ASUS Nvidia 8600 GT :: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz :: 4GB DDR2-800 :: 120GB SSD + 300GB RAID 1 :: Linux user since 1992

Beans

Hi mozkill, vnc works fine, if we start the session from putty or other ssh client and then login via the TightVNC client, what my original question was about, if the comman to start the session is issued from webmin, then the VNC just shows a blank screen and doesnt fire up, why i am not sure...It sets the session up as 'root' as opposed to the 'user' who is logged in as the account user when setting up Ubuntu.

What I was hoping to do was to be able to bypass the putty connection and issue the command from Webmin but like i say, when you do this is doesnt show the session.

I apologise for my lack of knowledge in this area and am hoping to get pointed in the right direction, I will take a read of the link you have posted and hopefully glean some more info and maybe I can figure out how to make it work this way. If not then I suppose we will just have to continue on with using the Putty client to issue the vncserver command.

thanks again

mrbrooks
    Last edited by mrbrooks; August 30th, 2012 at 11:35 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrooks View Post
    Hi Charles, thanks for the reply, I just looked at subsonic and the Ubuntu software centre on my box said this package is of bad quality, etc etc, breaks the rules...Is this package safe to install?

I may be showing my ignorance here but also, how will this help the folks in the office to play their music from the server box (the music folder is on the fileserver as a shared folder so they wish to play it direct from there, with a speaker set attatched to the server)...

Thanks again

mrbrooks

-- EDIT

What would be ideal is if there was some music player that has a web interface, that will play music on the server box, if this is indeed possible...
    I haven't tried SubSonic in a while, what messages did it give you?

I was recommended moc but you would need ssh access to the box in order to play music.

Quote Originally Posted by mozkill View Post
    Why does everyone on this forum suggest things that aren't part of the default Ubuntu install? To me it sounds like, after installing VNC on his Ubuntu system, he just failed to configure the VNC port service for the user he is connecting as. He doesn't need some other software to do it, just configure default Ubuntu as expected:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=122402
    Cuz a lot has changed since 2006?

Ubuntu no longer uses gdm, it uses lightdm. VNC is a bad idea for anything other than local access, and even then there are better tools for remote access to a GUI than VNC.

@mrbrooks: It is likely the vnc service is launched as root, but if it works when launched as the user, just launch it as the user.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast