Thread: Execute Command When Server is Shut Down or Started?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Execute Command When Server is Shut Down or Started?

I tried searching for this but maybe my Google skills suck today.

Anyway, I want the server to email me when it is going down for a graceful shutdown. I also want it to email me when it is started.

I can handle writing the actual email scripts for both events, I don't need help with that. I just need to know where to tell Ubuntu to execute such a script on shut down and start up.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Execute Command When Server is Shut Down or Started?

You can always write a startup script to notify you and set it to run before networking goes down.

http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts/
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You could make an upstart script or system v script and set it to run after the network is brought up or before it is shutdown. For the upstart scripts see /etc/init/. For the System V scripts see update-rc.d. I think System V is deprecated but for me it is more clear.

Alternately, you can put a pair of scripts in /etc/network/if-up.d/ and /etc/network/if-down.d/.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    You could make an upstart script or system v script and set it to run after the network is brought up or before it is shutdown. For the upstart scripts see /etc/init/. For the System V scripts see update-rc.d. I think System V is deprecated but for me it is more clear.
    Not to be totally offtopic, but I wrote the startup script I use with VirtualBox in System V, because I had a hell of a time wrapping my head around upstart. System-V seems more intuitive to me.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Wow, it looks like those solutions may be a bit over my head. I know how to write BASH scripts fairly well. I was hoping to write a script for shutdown and one for startup and put them somewhere and have them run accordingly. I'm not sure I want to tie such scripts to the network, just in case my network goes down I don't mistakenly think my server has shut down.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Well, the new way, Upstart, seems harder and less straight forward. I have to practice with them still.

The old way, System V, still works and is just a matter of writing a plain shell script and then running a program (update-rc.d) to install it. You can look at several of the scripts in /etc/init.d/ to get an idea of how it's done. I'd say look at several to find a simple one. It's not hard if you already have the script. Here's a template:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-...p-service.html

Beans

For start up, you could simply copy/paste your script into /etc/rc.local Commands in this file get run after everything else is brought up. It will be the last set of commands executed during start-up.

As for shutdown, if you aren't comfortable working with Upstart you could probably do something like alias the poweroff command to run your script and then shutdown the system.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I have an APC UPS with a working apcupsd configuration, is there a way to use that? I Googled around for a way to do it, but I don't see how. I have it emailing me when the power goes down, but I don't see an option in the config to make it email when the server shuts down, unless I missed it. Perhaps that's a possibility?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

That wouldn't work for normal shutdowns.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

IIRC putting a script in /etc/rc0.d/ will make it execute at shutdown (when entering runlevel 0). Another option for running it at boot is to have a @reboot crontab line for it (see crontab(5)).

EDIT: I just tried, seems to do the trick.
    Last edited by Bachstelze; August 30th, 2012 at 05:00 AM.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」