Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What to use for resizing JPEGs?

Beans

Re: What to use for resizing JPEGs?

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. The Nautilus plugin did a reasonable job. It also installed the ImageMagick tools behind the scenes. I found a heavily downsized JPEG could be produced with

Code:
    convert input.jpg -resize 640x480 -quality 10 output.jpg
    Thanks again. Another one solved!
    Last edited by Raphicerus; August 28th, 2012 at 09:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Gimp is ok if you want to be a pro along the lines of Adobe Photoshop, but I would suggest DigiKam. This gives you a light table so you can organize your files and do batch operations, e.g., resizing or converting from one format (e.g., bmp to jpg or vice-versa) to another. The learning curve is rather short and easy. There are quite a bunch of plugins that come with it so that you can color control your pix.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RedRat View Post
    Gimp is ok if you want to be a pro along the lines of Adobe Photoshop, but I would suggest DigiKam. This gives you a light table so you can organize your files and do batch operations, e.g., resizing or converting from one format (e.g., bmp to jpg or vice-versa) to another. The learning curve is rather short and easy. There are quite a bunch of plugins that come with it so that you can color control your pix.
    Thanks for the "heads up", RedRat. I never was the pro image manipulator, just the '86 assembler and C type. I felt very sorry for the talented art staff at work, who had to contend with all those unintuitive interfaces.

I'll have a look at DigiKam. It only needs to do what IrfanView did, to keep me happy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Raphicerus View Post
    Thanks for the "heads up", RedRat. I never was the pro image manipulator, just the '86 assembler and C type. I felt very sorry for the talented art staff at work, who had to contend with all those unintuitive interfaces.

I'll have a look at DigiKam. It only needs to do what IrfanView did, to keep me happy.
    Raphicerus
    When I was in the Windows world, I used a very simple program called ThumbsPlus (with some futzing about, you can install it under Ubuntu using Wine) and DigiKam sort of reminds me of ThumbsPlus. Even in resizing, you may also want to reduce the "dpi" of the image, this also makes the pictures smaller. DPI can be much smaller for web pages along with smaller in terms of pixels width and length. DigiKam can do this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by RedRat View Post
    Raphicerus
    When I was in the Windows world, I used a very simple program called ThumbsPlus (with some futzing about, you can install it under Ubuntu using Wine) and DigiKam sort of reminds me of ThumbsPlus. Even in resizing, you may also want to reduce the "dpi" of the image, this also makes the pictures smaller. DPI can be much smaller for web pages along with smaller in terms of pixels width and length. DigiKam can do this.
    If the OP does that he might as well install irfanview which works very well with wine. It is even suggested on the irfanview website as a reason for the application writer not to bother with a native Linux version.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    If the OP does that he might as well install irfanview which works very well with wine. It is even suggested on the irfanview website as a reason for the application writer not to bother with a native Linux version.
    Having installed my ThumbsPlus on several Linux machines under wine, I hope that installation goes a bit easier. Some Windows programs do not go easily, especially later Ubuntu and Mint versions. It was easier for me to get an older version of ThumbsPlus installed on 8.04 than in 10.04 and 12.04. I have yet to get it installed in Mint 13!

My point here is that DigiKam is there in the repositories and ready to go. It is pretty straight forward, a bit of a learning curve but not that bad.

Beans

My point here is that DigiKam is there in the repositories and ready to go. It is pretty straight forward, a bit of a learning curve but not that bad.
    Ah, that's what I thought you meant, Red Rat. I haven't tried it yet.

My late unlamented Vista installation had a ton of batch files on it, so I've been having fun learning the art of shell scripting.

I was about to ask a question about editors, but I'll start a new thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You might like "fotoxx" from http://freeimage.sourceforge.net which is about as simple as IrfanView; I've found that it can do some things that I could not accomplish with Gimp (specifically removing the tilted-back distortion on shots of tall buildings).

However for mass-production use, resizing dozens of images at once to fixed size, ImageMagick has no equal because you can create simple scripts for it. http://jcornuz.wordpress.com/2007/10...h-batch-power/ tells how, and a more extensive document is at http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/

Hope this helps!
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

showFoto

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JKyleOKC View Post
    You might like "fotoxx" from http://freeimage.sourceforge.net which is about as simple as IrfanView; I've found that it can do some things that I could not accomplish with Gimp (specifically removing the tilted-back distortion on shots of tall buildings).

However for mass-production use, resizing dozens of images at once to fixed size, ImageMagick has no equal because you can create simple scripts for it. http://jcornuz.wordpress.com/2007/10...h-batch-power/ tells how, and a more extensive document is at http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/

Hope this helps!
    It's interesting to know that shift and tilt corrections are available.

While I was working out how to do do basic jpeg downscaling, I was reading about ImageMagick parameters, and was amazed by the sheer scale of the thing. Forth Bridge or what?

How many man years of development in it, I wonder?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast