Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATI Overheating Problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

ATI Overheating Problem

I have an HP Pavilion DV7-4263CL which as an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6370s card in it.

The problem I'm having is that it is overheating. However, the catch is that it's overheating so quickly that I can't even get through the initial software updates before the laptop shuts down.

Any tips on the quickest way after a stock installation to get the overheating problem under control. Even a temporary solution is fine to hold me over until I get to the point where I can install the Catalyst drivers.

I could install, turn off the laptop and wait, and then turn it back on and do updates and then repeat until I get things under control but I was hoping for something a little more time efficient.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: ATI Overheating Problem

What about booting into text mode without a GUI? That could prevent the graphics card from overheating too fast. You need, however, be comfortable with the command line.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1483038

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

All laptops I've encountered in the last 20+ years suffer the same problem: after some months, the fan-cooling inside the case gets stopped by too much rubbish in the air flow. Sounds like your problem.

Just after warranty expired, my Pavvy once died. About $100, the authorized service agent cleaned it. It overheated soon after. So I opened it. The service agent hd not put in any heat-paste. Clean it again, & put in the heat-sink paste.

Beans

i don't think it's because of the dust, i would rather say it comes from the graphic card. If I were you, I would just make a fresh install and then follow this guide :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...&highlight=fan
    hope it works, but if someone has another solution, please post it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by daniaix View Post
    i don't think it's because of the dust, i would rather say it comes from the graphic card. If I were you, I would just make a fresh install and then follow this guide :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...&highlight=fan
    hope it works, but if someone has another solution, please post it
    May still be worth breaking out the vacuum cleaner and attacking the fans, particularly if the laptop draws air in through the bottom.

Beans

I can verify this problem exists outside of laptops. My desktop has a ATI 5450HD which SHOULD be able to handle most stuff I do, however it reaches degrees of over 73C. Not F. C.. That's enough to scald yourself and WAY to much for a card with no load on it.

This is a problem and ATI conveniently has different cooling fins on their new 5450's, so ATI KNOWS there is a problem with the fglrx driver causing the card to run full speed all the time, and now people at Ubuntu need to know.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This might relate to this bug >>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...iz/+bug/969860

Beans

An easy workaround for this prob. is to turn the screensaver off completely and set your display to every so many minutes. I set my display to turn off after 30 mins and it has stopped overheating altogether. I'm usiing an ATI 5450HD btw, that ATI has noticeably changed the cooling fins on now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Try taking the back cover off of the laptop and blowing out the heatsinks with a can of compressed air or an air compressor. NEVER use a vacuum cleaner, because of the dust and the air moving across the plastic tip, it can generate a high static charge and zap your components.
    Shuttle AB48PN, WD Caviar Blue 320Gb, Pentium 4 OC to 3GHz, 2Gb corsair DDR333, Sapphire Radeon HD 4650, Acer 23" LCD monitor, Sparkle 400 Watt PSU.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by QsoftStudios View Post
    Try taking the back cover off of the laptop and blowing out the heatsinks with a can of compressed air or an air compressor. NEVER use a vacuum cleaner, because of the dust and the air moving across the plastic tip, it can generate a high static charge and zap your components.
    As long as you don't have a toshiba laptop you can do that.

Never thought about the issue to be honest. When you say plastic tip, what are you referring to?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast