Thread: Toshiba Satellite P875

Beans

Toshiba Satellite P875

I want to say I am in no way a linux beginner. I am not afraid of the command line and in fact prefer it.
    I recently got a new Toshiba Satellite P875. I would like to describe the issues/annoyances i have come accross in my kubuntu install.

1. FIXED It has a multi-touch trackpad and seems to be treating it like a mac trackpad, with all the multitouch gestures. I would like to disable most of these gestures, mainly only keeping the two-finger touch to scroll. I would like to also be able to turn on/off with a hotkey, as I often bump it while typing.

2. It also has both intel and nvidia gpus, but X seems to only be using intel. If possible, I would like a script to be able to switch between the two, otherwise i would like to figure out how to configure it to use the nvidia gpu instead of the intel.

3. I picked up a small wireless mouse as well. It's no-name (Vibe) Model No. M-902. It seems the wireless receiver that came with the mouse isn't being detected by the kernel. "lsusb"s output doesn't change when the receiver is plugged in.

4. The laptop also comes with a hdmi port. I don't have a hdtv to use with it but I was wondering if any special config would be required to get it to work should i come across something to output it to.

5. FIXED The speakers don't work but the headphone jack does. alsamixer only shows the "Master" and "PCM" output channels, and no other audio cards. pavucontrol also only shows one output, analog output.

6. Though I say I'm not new to linux, I'm ew to having a laptop and so any other general laptop advise would be much appreciated.7

Thanks in advance for the help, I'm sure you guys can help me out.
    Last edited by JaySeeJC; August 26th, 2012 at 06:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: New Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by JaySeeJC View Post
    1. It has a multi-touch trackpad and seems to be treating it like a mac trackpad, with all the multitouch gestures. I would like to disable most of these gestures, mainly only keeping the two-finger touch to scroll. I would like to also be able to turn on/off with a hotkey, as I often bump it while typing.
    Did you look at the settings in System Settings > Input Devices? I have no idea whether you can turn any of this off and on, but that's the place to look.

2. It also has both intel and nvidia gpus, but X seems to only be using intel. If possible, I would like a script to be able to switch between the two, otherwise i would like to figure out how to configure it to use the nvidia gpu instead of the intel.
    Look into the Bumblebee Project.

3. I picked up a small wireless mouse as well. It's no-name (Vibe) Model No. M-902. It seems the wireless receiver that came with the mouse isn't being detected by the kernel. "lsusb"s output doesn't change when the receiver is plugged in.
    I use Logitech products exclusively because they routinely work on Linux without any fuss.

4. The laptop also comes with a hdmi port. I don't have a hdtv to use with it but I was wondering if any special config would be required to get it to work should i come across something to output it to.
    Once you have support for the NVIDIA card configured, you can use its associated utility to select the output device.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Look into the Bumblebee Project.
    The bumblebee project looks quite interesting, but doesn't seem to be working for my setup. Running "optirun glxspheres" returns the following error, running as root or not:
    Code:
    [ 1953.142930] [ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU - error: Could not load GPU driver

[ 1953.142989] [ERROR]Aborting because fallback start is disabled.
    The lspci -vv output of the nvidia and intel cards is as follows:
    Code:
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 0de9 (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
        Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Device fb12
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
        Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 7
        Region 0: Memory at d8000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
        Region 1: Memory at b0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
        Region 3: Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M]
        Region 5: I/O ports at 3000 [disabled] [size=128]
        Expansion ROM at c2000000 [disabled] [size=512K]
        Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 3
            Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
        Capabilities: [68] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
            Address: 0000000000000000  Data: 0000
        Capabilities: [78] Express (v2) Endpoint, MSI 00
            DevCap:    MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s <4us, L1 <64us
                ExtTag+ AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE+ FLReset-
            DevCtl:    Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- Unsupported-
                RlxdOrd+ ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop+
                MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 512 bytes
            DevSta:    CorrErr- UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq- AuxPwr- TransPend-
            LnkCap:    Port #0, Speed 5GT/s, Width x16, ASPM L0s L1, Latency L0 <256ns, L1 <4us
                ClockPM+ Surprise- LLActRep- BwNot-
            LnkCtl:    ASPM L0s L1 Enabled; RCB 128 bytes Disabled- Retrain- CommClk+
                ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
            LnkSta:    Speed 5GT/s, Width x16, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
            DevCap2: Completion Timeout: Not Supported, TimeoutDis+
            DevCtl2: Completion Timeout: 50us to 50ms, TimeoutDis-
            LnkCtl2: Target Link Speed: 5GT/s, EnterCompliance- SpeedDis-, Selectable De-emphasis: -6dB
                 Transmit Margin: Normal Operating Range, EnterModifiedCompliance- ComplianceSOS-
                 Compliance De-emphasis: -6dB
            LnkSta2: Current De-emphasis Level: -3.5dB
        Capabilities: [b4] Vendor Specific Information: Len=14 <?>
        Capabilities: [100 v1] Virtual Channel
            Caps:    LPEVC=0 RefClk=100ns PATEntryBits=1
            Arb:    Fixed- WRR32- WRR64- WRR128-
            Ctrl:    ArbSelect=Fixed
            VC0:    Caps:    PATOffset=00 MaxTimeSlots=1 RejSnoopTrans-
                Arb:    Fixed- WRR32- WRR64- WRR128- TWRR128- WRR256-
                Ctrl:    Enable+ ID=0 ArbSelect=Fixed TC/VC=ff
        Capabilities: [128 v1] Power Budgeting <?>
        Capabilities: [600 v1] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0001 Rev=1 Len=024 <?>
        Kernel modules: nouveau, nvidiafb

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Ivy Bridge Graphics Controller (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
        Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Device fb12
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
        Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 0
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 43
        Region 0: Memory at da000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
        Region 2: Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
        Region 4: I/O ports at 4000 [size=64]
        Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
        Capabilities: [90] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit-
            Address: fee3000c  Data: 4179
        Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2
            Flags: PMEClk- DSI+ D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
        Capabilities: [a4] PCI Advanced Features
            AFCap: TP+ FLR+
            AFCtrl: FLR-
            AFStatus: TP-
        Kernel driver in use: i915
        Kernel modules: i915
    I use Logitech products exclusively because they routinely work on Linux without any fuss.
    I agree, but I was pressed for time and it was the only mouse i could afford at the time, as I only had cash on me. I'm currently using a wired logitech desktop mouse.

Another quirk that I noticed is that the speakers don't work but the headphone jack does. alsamixer only shows the "Master" and "PCM" output channels, and no other audio cards. pavucontrol also only shows one output, analog output.

My above post will be updated to reflect this new issue.
    Last edited by JaySeeJC; August 26th, 2012 at 01:24 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by JaySeeJC View Post
    Another quirk that I noticed is that the speakers don't work but the headphone jack does. alsamixer only shows the "Master" and "PCM" output channels, and no other audio cards. pavucontrol also only shows one output, analog output.
    Again you should be using the applications in System Settings if you're using KDE. Check SS > Multimedia > Phonon and see how your devices are configured.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Again you should be using the applications in System Settings if you're using KDE. Check SS > Multimedia > Phonon and see how your devices are configured.
    That wasn't the problem. Compiling an updated kernel fixed the audio problem. Currently running 3.2.5. Bumblebee is still giving me the same error. I'll do a bug report to them. I've realized that this laptop is a satellite P870 as well.
    Code:
    baseboard-manufacturer: TOSHIBA
    baseboard-product-name: Portable PC
    baseboard-version     : MP
    system-manufacturer   : TOSHIBA
    system-product-name   : Satellite P870
    system-version        : PSPLBC-02L00R
    bios-vendor           : Insyde Corp.
    bios-version          : 1.50
    bios-release-date     : 07/02/2012
    Please note I am very grateful for all your help so far SeijiSensei. I really don't mean to sound stuck up or anything, I just really want to get the most out of this machine and that's simply not possible running window$.
    Last edited by JaySeeJC; August 26th, 2012 at 06:55 PM.

Beans

Re: Toshiba Satellite P875

Found a fix partially for the touch pad here:
    http://nialldonegan.me/2007/05/21/di...ping-in-linux/

Currently looking into the multitouch customization.