Thread: Fan not coming on in time to prevent laptop overheating

Beans

Fan not coming on in time to prevent laptop overheating

I am running Ubuntu on a Toshiba Satellite L355D, and I am still having a problem with overheating. I believe that I have traced a possible cause to fan control. It appears that the fan only spins up if there is a sharp increase in temperature. If the temperature increases slowly, the fan seems not to react or to react unreliably.

I downloaded the acpitool for Toshiba, and it is telling me to make sure that I have ACPI support in the kernel enabled. How do I go about doing that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Fan not coming on in time to prevent laptop overheating

That seems like a bad fan. A fan should start running when the temp hits a certain point, regardless of whether it happens gradually or instantaneous.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    That seems like a bad fan. A fan should start running when the temp hits a certain point, regardless of whether it happens gradually or instantaneous.
    I'm beginning to think it's hardware too, but just wondering if there is anything else I can do OS-wise. It overheated a couple of times with Windows, and I opened it up and it was stuffed with lint. I cleaned it out and re-seated the heat sink with new thermal paste. Now it is clean and still it overheats with Ubuntu. I'm testing another OS on a different partition, and the fan behaves differently than with Ubuntu (fan runs less on Ubuntu despite being hot). However, I can't give up Ubuntu because certain software that I use is not available for the other distribution and because I have spent so much time updating and customizing Ubuntu that there is no way that I would give it up now. I just would like to solve this overheating issue because right now the system is not stable.

Yesterday, the CPU temperature climbed to 96 degrees C without the fan coming on. I shut it down because it will turn itself off at 100 degrees C.

EDIT: I do use Jupiter.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Have you tried using fancontrol to force the fan to spin up at a certain temp?
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sandyd View Post
    Have you tried using fancontrol to force the fan to spin up at a certain temp?
    I haven't tried fancontrol. I believe that I read a dire warning about it written by the author something to the effect that you can burn out your system using it, but right now I'm desperate and I will try anything. Thanks for the idea.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Toshiba laptops appear to have buggy acpi implementations for Linux-based distros. You could try the following kernel parameters to see if you can "convince" the bios to enable all functionality for non-windows-based OSes:

- acpi_osi=
    - acpi_osi=Linux
    - acpi_osi="Linux"
    - acpi_osi=\"Linux\"
    - acpi_osi=\\\"Linux\\\"

Try all the combinations one at a time to see if they work. Add the value to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" line in /etc/default/grub and run:
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    ...and reboot.

And also, if you have an ATI or nvidia graphics card, make sure you install the proprietary drivers.